No announcement yet.

not since Hagler & Hearns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not since Hagler & Hearns

Can someone name a fighter since Hagler or Hearns that it was important to them that they were considered a great fighter? Not the guys driven by money (Leonard, Floyd, Bhop), not the tough guys (M Ward, Gatti).

Hagler or Hearns never ran for mayor, appeared on reality TV shows.
    They never went to jail, or ran around thumping the bible.They never used their connections to advance their relatives into opportunities they didn't deserve. They were perfect examples of professional fighters and we desperately need more like them today

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
    Can someone name a fighter since Hagler or Hearns that it was important to them that they were considered a great fighter? Not the guys driven by money (Leonard, Floyd, Bhop), not the tough guys (M Ward, Gatti).

They never went to jail, or ran around thumping the bible.They never used their connections to advance their relatives into opportunities they didn't deserve. They were perfect examples of professional fighters and we desperately need more like them today
    miguel cotto? israel vasquez?

Comment

no you couldnt name one, everyone works for money and uses connections to get ahead in life

Comment

Yeah I'd say Cotto too. There's definitely a few true "fighters" still out there, or else I wouldn't even bother watching the sport anymore. Would Sergio Martinez or Delvin Rodriguez qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Yeah I'd say Cotto too. There's definitely a few true "fighters" still out there, or else I wouldn't even bother watching the sport anymore. Would Sergio Martinez or Delvin Rodriguez qualify?
          Martinez is blatantly looking for big money fights at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
            miguel cotto? israel vasquez?
            Vazquez was a true fighter. I believe respect as a professional was also very important to Holyfield.

As for Hagler, he became an actor in Italy after his retirement. You don't think name and wealth had anything to do with that?

Hearns was no different than Mayweather in lifestyle, just lower profile. He kept a massive entourage around him and spent freely, which is why he's broke now.
            Last edited by Miburo; 12-05-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Felix Trinidad always gave me the impression that what was most important to him was destroying his foes.....for his legacy and for his adoring fans.

Diego Corrales loved to go to war.

Evander Holyfield is as tough and determined to win as any ATHLETE in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post

That is crazy man. While Leonard might have been driven by money (as if Hearns and Hagler weren't!) he was just as obsessed with being considered great and his legacy. The determination to win that Leomnard had was impossible to have through a desire for money alone.

Duran was a classic example of a great fighter only after the money in Leonard II. The desperate desire and unstoppable determination to beat his opponent simply wasn't there. He hated Leonard in the first fight and while the money was important, he genuinely wanted to destroy the guy. That is a classic example of someone fighting for passion, then fighting for money. Leonard had it big time in all his major fights.

No great fighter has ever only been driven by money, yes, even Mayweather. Late career, yes, but that is the same with Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Ali, Gatti, Ward, Corrales etc etc etc.

It is their job.

Comment

lol Hagler consistently complained about money and respect he doesn't qualify for this.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    lol Hagler consistently complained about money and respect he doesn't qualify for this.
                    "Ray...you say you're my friend, then give me that big payday!"

Pretty much all fighters at the top level fight for money and to show their abilities/pride. Some care more about money than others, some lose hunger to prove themselves once they reach a certain level and start to cherry-pick, but I doubt any great fighter is motivated by ONLY money, or ONLY pride.

Comment

Working...
                    X