Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Roach have his hands full training Pac and Khan at the same time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Roach have his hands full training Pac and Khan at the same time?

Does this improve Bradley and Peterson's chances?

IS A JOINT TRAINING CAMP GOOD OR BAD FOR MANNY PACQUIAO AND AMIR KHAN?
    By Felix Strunk | March 12, 2012

"Manny wants to start training camp early, so we are going to the Philippines this week to start camp with Amir and we will train four to six weeks before we come back to America," stated Hall-of-Fame trainer Freddie Roach, who recently revealed that both he and former jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan will soon be traveling to the Philippines to begin training camp alongside 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao. Starting tomorrow, Khan will embark on a three-city press tour, with stops in London, Washington DC, and Los Angeles, to promote his upcoming May 19th rematch with Amir Khan. The final press conference takes place next Monday, March 19th, so we assume both he and Roach will be heading to the Philippines some time shortly after that.

"I just called Manny and told him that Amir wants to come to your training camp and work with you and Manny said no problem. People don't realize how close they are and how much Amir idolizes and looks up to Manny," Roach commented in an interview with Boxinqtalk's John McCormick. Of course, this won't be the first time that Khan has trained alongside Pacquiao in the Philippines. In fact, since at least late 2010, both fighters have trained side by side for their last few bouts, with each of their fights generally taking place about a month apart. While the timing of their fights is convenient for Freddie Roach, one has to wonder if sharing the attention of their trainer is fair to the fighters.

Pacquiao and Khan have had a number of sparring sessions with each other over the years as they've prepared for their opponents. Surely by now, each man has picked up on the other's tendencies inside the ring, which isn't exactly a good thing when you're preparing for a totally different opponent. Furthermore, exactly who plays the part of the opponent when they actually do spar? Will Amir Khan mimic the movements of Timothy Bradley? Will Manny Pacquiao imitate the style of Lamont Peterson? Although the idea of both fighters training together sounds good on the surface, given their last performance, perhaps the experiment has run its course.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11967.html

Comment

well we know who'll get the short end of the stick now dont we

Comment

It has never seemed to cause a problem before, but with both fights so close together I see why the issue could arise. I'm not sure how Roach will go back and forth between camps, but it seems like the person it would hurt most would be Khan (less experience with Roach than Pacquiao and coming off a loss). Good point, I'm anxious to find out now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Discipline View Post
          IS A JOINT TRAINING CAMP GOOD OR BAD FOR MANNY PACQUIAO AND AMIR KHAN?
          By Felix Strunk | March 12, 2012

"Manny wants to start training camp early, so we are going to the Philippines this week to start camp with Amir and we will train four to six weeks before we come back to America," stated Hall-of-Fame trainer Freddie Roach, who recently revealed that both he and former jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan will soon be traveling to the Philippines to begin training camp alongside 8-division world champion Manny Pacquiao. Starting tomorrow, Khan will embark on a three-city press tour, with stops in London, Washington DC, and Los Angeles, to promote his upcoming May 19th rematch with Amir Khan. The final press conference takes place next Monday, March 19th, so we assume both he and Roach will be heading to the Philippines some time shortly after that.

"I just called Manny and told him that Amir wants to come to your training camp and work with you and Manny said no problem. People don't realize how close they are and how much Amir idolizes and looks up to Manny," Roach commented in an interview with Boxinqtalk's John McCormick. Of course, this won't be the first time that Khan has trained alongside Pacquiao in the Philippines. In fact, since at least late 2010, both fighters have trained side by side for their last few bouts, with each of their fights generally taking place about a month apart. While the timing of their fights is convenient for Freddie Roach, one has to wonder if sharing the attention of their trainer is fair to the fighters.

Pacquiao and Khan have had a number of sparring sessions with each other over the years as they've prepared for their opponents. Surely by now, each man has picked up on the other's tendencies inside the ring, which isn't exactly a good thing when you're preparing for a totally different opponent. Furthermore, exactly who plays the part of the opponent when they actually do spar? Will Amir Khan mimic the movements of Timothy Bradley? Will Manny Pacquiao imitate the style of Lamont Peterson? Although the idea of both fighters training together sounds good on the surface, given their last performance, perhaps the experiment has run its course.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11967.html
          Ohhh, Roach won't have to go between camps. Gotcha. Well then, I'd say it should be fine, but once again if anyone struggles I would assume it would be Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by brysquared1016 View Post
            It has never seemed to cause a problem before, but with both fights so close together I see why the issue could arise. I'm not sure how Roach will go back and forth between camps, but it seems like the person it would hurt most would be Khan (less experience with Roach than Pacquiao and coming off a loss). Good point, I'm anxious to find out now lol.
            Roach had no solution for Peterson's relentless attack during the first fight. So what will he change? Also how will Roach and Khan respond when Peterson adapts again? Remember Peterson saying that they had 3 - 4 gameplans to choose from during the 1st fight. The first one didn't work, but the 2nd one did.

Comment

robert garcia is a much more busier man

stop sympathizing with roach

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
                robert garcia is a much more busier man

stop sympathizing with roach
                Nah man, I'm not sympathising with Roach. Don't like him as a trainer, think he's overrated.

Comment

khan seems to perform better in the ring after he has trained in the flips, so i dont think there will be a problem.

Comment

Well... I'm not sure, but he has 3 title bouts close together... well not really close, but within a month of each other. Senchenko, Pac and Khan... maybe JCC Jr if he fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X