No announcement yet.

who rans higher as a ATG Floyd or Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd pick Whitaker

Floyd will probably get more votes on here because 98% of posters have never seen Pernell fight and floyd is really popular now and undefeated but Pernell was something else

I hate it when \people try to discredit his wins over McGirt. He was one of the best P4P fighters during Pernells time

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
      a coked out past prime pernell was defensively freaking on murderous prime welter weights like trinidad and oscar while floyd was busy getting almost KTFO by a shot past prime almost 2 year inactive shane mosley and getting bloodied by a past prime pacquiao left over.

not to mention floyd's REAL TOUGHEST FIGHT was against 20 plus loss augustus.

Just look at the roster of fighters sweet pea fought and compare it to floyd's.

Sweet Pea > Floyd

by a country mile.
      Now now, he only had 16 losses.Nobody seems to realise it but I've always felt that this fight, Mayweather's first at lightweight, was the cautious way his Brains Trust "tested the waters", before committing to the heavier weight. They almost made a ruinous mistake.
      Last edited by edgarg; 05-14-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Whitaker the tougher fights and Floyd the bigger names. Floyds top 3 best wins in my eyes are Corrales, Cotto Castillo. I also like the Ortiz win but thats not enough o beat Whitaker in my opinion. I think we all put Chavez on his resume which is better then fLOYDS TOP 5 WINS put together

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2013 View Post
          i disagree man floyds resume is deeper and he has accomplished alot more
          We only have your word for that. The record doesn't show it.

Comment

Right now it's Whitaker but not by that wide of a margin or anything. If Floyd beats Sergio or Pac, I think he'd get ahead of Pernell. I still consider Floyd around Top 30 ATG, but Pernell a bit higher.

Comment

lots of sparring partners beat muhammad ali in sparring. it doesnt mean anything. its sparring. lots of great fighters dont take sparring seriously. they use it to get work in. only imbeciles of the highest order would make your point.
              They spar to practice certain moves they need to perfect, and, whilst they're doing this, they often look less than stellar. Gettin the practice in is far more important than "looking good". Sparring partners aren't there just to be beaten up, in case you don't know.

Comment

azumah nelson, buddy mcgirt, paez, and absolutely freaking on a undefeated julio cesar chavez >>>>>>>>>>> anybody on floyd's resume.
                Originally posted by pturtle View Post
                Whitaker the tougher fights and Floyd the bigger names. Floyds top 3 best wins in my eyes are Corrales, Cotto Castillo. I also like the Ortiz win but thats not enough o beat Whitaker in my opinion. I think we all put Chavez on his resume which is better then fLOYDS TOP 5 WINS put together
                much too far

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                  Right now it's Whitaker but not by that wide of a margin or anything. If Floyd beats Sergio or Pac, I think he'd get ahead of Pernell. I still consider Floyd around Top 30 ATG, but Pernell a bit higher.
                  Too many ifs

Time is flying by, it'd be nice if he fought them now, or one of them in '09

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                    much too far
                    Okay better then his top 4 wins, is that better? Floyd doesn't have any prime all time greats on his list which is why his resume isn't respected. If Floyd beat Pac or Martinez then this will be a real discussion

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingWizard27 View Post
                      I'd pick Whitaker

Floyd will probably get more votes on here because 98% of posters have never seen Pernell fight and floyd is really popular now and undefeated but Pernell was something else

I hate it when \people try to discredit his wins over McGirt. He was one of the best P4P fighters during Pernells time
                      This, this, this.

I agree with every single word.

Not only are people discrediting the McGirt wins. But, I even see people discrediting the Azumah Nelson win. Which is mind boggling to me.

And, every Floyd dickrider will disagree with this. But, Floyd does NOT have a win better than Whitaker win over Nelson.

And, I'm not even going to touch the Chavez and Ramirez travesties.

Comment

Working...
                      X