No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gerald McClellan – A Champion’s Fight Continues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Gerald McClellan – A Champion’s Fight Continues

By Thomas Gerbasi - It isn’t very often, but when former middleweight champion Gerald McClellan wonders why he’s blind and how he ended up that way, his sister Lisa is always the first one by his side to say “Don’t worry about it, I’ll be your eyes.”

For 17 years, she has been. Ever since one of the most feared fighters of his era returned home from England far different than the way he entered the country after suffering a brain injury in his February 25, 1995 bout with Nigel Benn, it’s been his sister who has never left him, never walked away and left Gerald in the hands of strangers. It’s heroic no matter how you look at it, but the way she sees it, this is her blood, and this is what their mother would have wanted.

“It’s all in the way that my mom raised us to look after one another,” she said. “And at the times where I feel like giving up and walking away, I feel my mother kind of tugging at me from the grave and letting me know that that’s not what she would be pleased with.”

It goes without saying that if you called Lisa a patient woman that would be understating things. But even her patience is being tried with the family’s latest dilemma, as Gerald is scheduled to go in for colon removal surgery on June 22, just three days after her oldest brother Todd donates his kidney to Gerald’s other caregiver, his sister Sandra. The old saying is that God will never give you more things to deal with than you can handle, but surely the creator of that adage never took a trip to Freeport, Illinois. [Click Here To Read More]

...'McClellan's trainer & family admitted that McClellan was involved with fighting pitbulls, and on one occasion had used tape to bind the jaws of a Labrador shut and allowing his pitbull dogs to kill the Labrador.'

He got his lot in the end. He can be thankful for his sister...

Comment

Yeah the dog fighting thing was horrible. I watched the ITV documentary The Fight Of Their Lives, about the McLellan vs Benn fight. The thing that stood out was that the two people who could have pulled him out of the fight - his trainer and the ref, both flatly denied any responsibility. All the signs were there that something was wrong towards the end of the fight.

His trainer in particular is an arrogant moron.

Comment

Wow. She is a strong lady.
        I might send a donation.

Dont think anyone should be judging Gerald unless they are an angel.

Comment

What a sad story. His sister is a strong woman.

Comment

Very sad story, this is the dark side of boxing you hate to hear/read about. And no offense, and as hypocritical as it sounds, i don't like to see American based fighters travel overseas for large magnitude fights such as this one. Things just always seem to go bad, and i know the argument can be made in reverse so I'm not trying to stir up any issues, but i remember Roy stating that before the fight he had a bad feeling in his stomach and even suggested to Gerald that he shouldn't take the fight on those terms, and the outcome is what it is which is horrible to hear about. Just terrible, and i commend his sister for sticking by his side, its tough taking care of a loved one to that extent, but thats what family should do, remain by your sides through thick and thin. damn.

Comment

That family has been through so much, life must seem so unfair sometimes. Looks like Lisa is holding the family together.

Comment

The dog fighting was disgusting and inexcusable.

However it's also tragic what happened to Gerald.

It's a shame too as he was recovering well in hospital in the UK but they decided to fly him back to the US which I feel could have been a mistake due to the air pressure and oxygen levels on board a plane not being the best thing for recovering brain injury

Comment

Can someone elaborate on the details of the fight? What exactly was Lisa, the sister trying to divulge about that night to her bro? What was Roy referring to on the terms of the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Randomum View Post
                    Can someone elaborate on the details of the fight? What exactly was Lisa, the sister trying to divulge about that night to her bro? What was Roy referring to on the terms of the fight?
                    The fight was a war, great great fight.

Mclellan was a monsterous puncher, as was Benn.

In the first round Mclellan caught benn and sent him through the ropes, the fight went on and was brutal, Benn roughed up and mauled Mclellan on the inside and mclellan landed his bombs from the outside, but Mclellan began to start blinking repeatedly as the fight went on.

Mclellan took a knee and should have been pulled out of the fight but he wasnt, it went on and Benn landed more shots, mclellan went down again and never got up the same man, he is now mostly deaf and blind and has brain damage.

Steve Bunce recounted that Mclellan was recovering well in london with a world class neurosurgeon who advised him to remain there a while and not to fly as it would be bad for his condition at that time, but someone thought he could get better care in the US, he flew back and in hospital in the US he had major complications accounting for most of his current condition.

It's a shame

Comment

Working...
                    X