Chavez could have some success vs the SMW's of today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ksan View Post
    Hey if Bale did it, Alex Ariza will make him do it

If hypothetically speaking you were being serious then it would be terrible if he ended up like that. Strength and leaning on his opponents is key to his style, if he would go down and lose his weight/strength advantage then he'd be snookered.

Comment

The best fighters at SMW will be able to handle his size in a way that middleweights cannot. So I can't see him having success without continuing to improve.

Comment

Chavez has not fought a guy that will REFUSE to fight his fight. Every opponent has fought his type of fight because they didn't have skill nor the physical attributes, to enforce their own tactics (assuming they even had any). You really think guys like Ward/Froch/Bute/the Dirrell brothers are gonna allow JCC to fight his style comfortably for 12 rounds? You are sorely mistaken. The weight disparity will not be great enough for him to employ his style and simply get away with it, his face is gonna get smashed or he's gonna toyed with. JCC's is way too one-track minded to be successful at 168, he needs to use his boxing ability more cuz this mentality of "I'm gonna grind down my opponent by leaning on him" is not gonna work against superior opposition. That, plus the fact that he has face-first defense, makes him easy work potentially.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

He wouldn't take a single round off Ward, nor fare much better against the other top names.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            Chavez has not fought a guy that will REFUSE to fight his fight. Every opponent has fought his type of fight because they didn't have skill nor the physical attributes, to enforce their own tactics (assuming they even had any). You really think guys like Ward/Froch/Bute/the Dirrell brothers are gonna allow JCC to fight his style comfortably for 12 rounds? You are sorely mistaken. The weight disparity will not be great enough for him to employ his style and simply get away with it, his face is gonna get smashed or he's gonna toyed with.
            Good post. As soon as someone isn't in front of Jr the whole time he's gonna be lost in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              Chavez has not fought a guy that will REFUSE to fight his fight. Every opponent has fought his type of fight because they didn't have skill nor the physical attributes, to enforce their own tactics (assuming they even had any). You really think guys like Ward/Froch/Bute/the Dirrell brothers are gonna allow JCC to fight his style comfortably for 12 rounds? You are sorely mistaken. The weight disparity will not be great enough for him to employ his style and simply get away with it, his face is gonna get smashed or he's gonna toyed with. JCC's is way too one-track minded to be successful at 168, he needs to use his boxing ability more cuz this mentality of "I'm gonna grind down my opponent by leaning on him" is not gonna work against superior opposition. That, plus the fact that he has face-first defense, makes him easy work potentially.
              Just like Andrade grinded down Bute in their first fight?

Chavez has alot more mobility than a guy like Andrade, much better defense and he will be there like dog in front of them, working the body, and those liver shots will make them stop running in the long haul

Those Smw's will have to run all the fight like Vitali did versus Arreola, if they dont want to get dragged down by Chavez Jr. style of fighting.

Those guys are not accustomed to fight on the inside, and that will be their kryptonite
              Last edited by ksan; 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I think that Chavez Jr would be brutalized at SMW. Right now he gains 20 pounds+ and enters the fight at around 180 while fighting at MW, so lets assume he moves to the 168 division, then how much weight is he going to gain for fight night? If he enters the fight at 190 he's going to be slow as fuck and he's going to run out of stamina pretty fast.

Also Chavez Jr doesn't has enough power for the SMW division, hell I think his power at MW is just above average. At 168, guys like Froch, Bute, Kessler, Dirrell are harder punchers than him and most of this guys have iron chins. Chavez Jr is not going to be able to hurt them and to make them actually respect his power. What is going to be their strategy against Chavez Jr? Just move around the ring and make Jr chase them, just like Froch did against Abraham or actually like Martinez did against Pavlik. I still think Martinez would be able to beat Jr at MW by using that strategy.

Don't you see that Jr is facing opponents that are perfect for his style? Rubio, strong but slow and flat footed, the perfect match for Jr's style. Still his best win. Manfredo? Pretty average boxer, not that fast and not that powerful, also not a great technical boxer. His most technical opponent was Zbik, who was pretty fast and had decent boxing skills, but had no punching power. Still for me Zbik beat Chavez Jr by using his speed and landing over 400 punches in Jr's face.

IMO Jr will have serious problems against MW guys like Martinez and Proksa who are very unorthodox, fast and heavy handed, and are able to move pretty good around the ring, and also against fighters like Golovkin who has a good chin, is heavy handed and also likes to fight at close range. Lee could also make an interesting fight since he's also very tall for the division.

At SMW I think Ward, Froch, Bute, Kessler and Dirrell could beat him without too much problems, since they're or technically better boxers or stronger than Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by ksan View Post
                  Just like Andrade grinded down Bute in their first fight?

Chavez has alot more mobility than a guy like Andrade, much better defense and he will be there like dog in front of them, working the body, and those liver shots will make them stop running in the long haul

Those Smw's will have to run all the fight like Vitali did versus Arreola, if they dont want to get dragged down by Chavez Jr. style of fighting.

Those guys are not accustomed to fight on the inside, and that will be their kryptonite
                  I'm not gonna act like I even saw Bute/Andrade cuz I didn't, but that was probably a learning experience for Bute. He KO'ed him in the rematch didn't he?, which means (in my assumption) Bute mentally made the decision that he wasn't gonna allow Andrade to bully him around. The same physical and mental preparation would have to be taken in order to beat a guy like Chavez, who seems to not know how to fight any other way. This style isn't good for anyone's health, and when he starts fighting guys that are comparable to him in size, and have a superior skill-set, Chavez will have to show a different look or he's gonna get beat decisively. Chavez might be better than Andrade, but when you compare Chavez to the best at 168, he's a level below them. His style can be stifled with foot-work, a solid jab, and respectable power. It's about time for Chavez to start adding new things to his repertoire and actually using them in the ring. He's becoming a side-show attraction, not even a hype-job. "Come see the fighter who can rehydrate up to 180+ on fight night!!"
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 02-05-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X