Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Vegtables Taste So Bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They taste great, well some of them anyway n it depends on how you cook them of course.

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post

British readers will be familiar with Gillian McKeith's
    Last edited by NChristo; 08-26-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I use to only eat meat myself.

Now at 25, I'm really into fruit and veg.

Best thing is to find ways to get it cooked the way your like it. Add sauces, make it in a stew or however you want.

You get lots of nutrients when cooked compared to none cooked.

Comment

Try buying quality and fresh veg.
        I find they usually taste alot better.

If your supermarket only stocks crap or frozen (which is all mine do) trying a proper fruit and veg market.

Comment

From 1 years old to about adulthood, i never age any vegetables or fruit. I do eat fruit now and some veg. BUt i wasted my growing up years not eating it.

I wonder if it will effect my lifespan or would it have harmed me at all?

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            Vegetables 'taste bad' to you because your taste buds are desensitised to natural foods. They're used to eating (processed) foods with a higher sugar content so when you put a fibrous vegetable with a very low sugar content in your mouth it tastes horrible by comparison, and may even induce sickness.

British readers will be familiar with Gillian McKeith's show where she gets the obese people to taste vegetables and it literally makes them spit it out, they can no longer eat regular veggies.

However, once you rid your diet of the high sugar food and gradually get used to eating higher fibre lower sugar foods then eventually vegetables will become a much tastier food for you, in fact, you will choose them over junk foods like chocolate bars etc.
            Yes, this man speaks the truth, good post. This is totally true. I used to reach for cookies when hungry, now I reach for broccoli because it will satisfy my stomach a heck of a lot better and put nutrition into my body instead of more fat and sugar.

Also, boxing is a sport of punching in the face, if some vegetables stop you probably shouldn't even consider doing boxing.
            Last edited by Aperion; 08-25-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Legendary~ View Post
              Man, every time I eat Broccli, carrots, etc. Afterward I always feel really sick, and when am eating them, I feel like am just eating fresh air lol. And don't feel like am eating food.

discuss
              Man are you eating them fresh or are you overcooking?

Remember food has to be cooked right, especially veg, or you lose a lot of the good stuff you're wanting nutrition from.

Make sure you don't buy frozen cos that stuff DOES taste awful. If you do (peas you pretty much have to) only put it straight in the boiling water and remove when its no loger frozen or you lose all that flavour.

Broccoli, carrots you mention. you should be blanching those so that they are cooked but still crisp. You get good flavour out of those if you cook them right.

Turnips, parsnips, radishes, cauliflower are good for flavour to spice things up a little. But like I said do NOT overcook. Difference is if you're making a mash or a dish that has these as a centerpoint. I don't eat cauliflower cheese anymore but if thats what we're talking about make it FRESH do not buy frozen rubbish.

Seasoning is always important too. Try salads with your own dressing?

All you need is equal parts olive oil and vinegar and add some herbs or seasoning to your taste, mix it up in a cup you have salad dressing.

Comment

Originally posted by omarinbox View Post
                Man are you eating them fresh or are you overcooking?

Remember food has to be cooked right, especially veg, or you lose a lot of the good stuff you're wanting nutrition from.

Make sure you don't buy frozen cos that stuff DOES taste awful. If you do (peas you pretty much have to) only put it straight in the boiling water and remove when its no loger frozen or you lose all that flavour.

Broccoli, carrots you mention. you should be blanching those so that they are cooked but still crisp. You get good flavour out of those if you cook them right.

Turnips, parsnips, radishes, cauliflower are good for flavour to spice things up a little. But like I said do NOT overcook. Difference is if you're making a mash or a dish that has these as a centerpoint. I don't eat cauliflower cheese anymore but if thats what we're talking about make it FRESH do not buy frozen rubbish.

Seasoning is always important too. Try salads with your own dressing?

All you need is equal parts olive oil and vinegar and add some herbs or seasoning to your taste, mix it up in a cup you have salad dressing.
                This ^^^^ especially the bolded

and if your making your own dressing what you do is mix the vinegar and herbs first then you slowly drizzle the oil in while you whisk it real fast. this should ensure that the oil and vinegar actually mix as if you just put it all in at once and mix it up oil+water...yeah not so much.

Comment

From another forum:

''There is an argument that frozen veggies are sometimes 'fresher' than supermarket veggies because they are frozen relatively quickly after harvesting whereas there is often a lengthy storage/transportation lag with the supermarket stuff.''

It's believed that since they have been blast frozen shortly after harvest, nearly all the nutrients have been preserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Levcon8686 View Post
                    From another forum:

''There is an argument that frozen veggies are sometimes 'fresher' than supermarket veggies because they are frozen relatively quickly after harvesting whereas there is often a lengthy storage/transportation lag with the supermarket stuff.''

It's believed that since they have been blast frozen shortly after harvest, nearly all the nutrients have been preserved.
                    Thats true but my sister gets her hands on frozen vegetables she boils em until theres no TASTE left in them

All they need is a 3 or 4 minutes in boiling water. And when they've been in that water for a long time they lose taste.

Comment

Danm i love my veg, carrots, peas, broccoli, sweed, sweetcorn, parsnips, potato, all mushed in together with my gravy which always seems to make the taste so much better

Comment

Working...
                      X