Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Broner is Not Looking To Leave 135 Any Time Soon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Broner wants to become a crossover star, hanging around at lightweight isn't gonna get him there. The only fight with any crossover appeal is Gamboa, which I believe is the reason he wants to hang around. And that fight is such a mismatch from a size and skill standpoint, I can't see a smart business man like 50 pawning out his golden goose for that thrashing at this point.

IMO, the perfect fight for Broner is JMM. JMM's stock has never been higher. And because of the way the fight ended with Pac, it completely overshadowed the fact that the mexican legend looked like **** for most of that fight. I would make Broner a huge favorite over JMM. And that's the fight that crosses Broner over into the mainstream. No one at lightweight does that for him.

Comment

duh, there's real competition at 140.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
        If you can make weight, stay.
        If you can't, then GTFO of there
        This^. Just make weight. No Twinkies tweets. Well, you can't get Twinkies anymore so scratch that.

Comment

He should move to 147. I think he could beat Bradley, Ghost, Magic Man and Miadana right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
            Broner should stay at 135 and fight Burns Vazquez Abril Gamboa then move up to 140
            ^^ This.

Listen, it's a business as well. Fighters have a small window of opportunity to earn money that will have to sustain them for 40 years after they retire. That means making smart decisions to balance extending their career as long as possible, while still taking fights people want to see. I'm not mad at him for not rushing to increase the odds of his career peaking at 25. Folks shouldn't expect him to go so above and beyond what they don't expect other fighters to do because he's so talented. I don't see people urging Ward to move up to face better competition. There is still some fights for him at 135 as folks have noted. Be patient.

Comment

Personally I have no problem with Broner staying at lightweight, clear the division, he can definitely do it and it would be nice to see a true Undisputed champ with all 4 belts for once. But my only problem is that just not to long ago Broner was calling out Rios and Marquez (2 Jr Welterweights) and now all of a sudden he wants to stay down at 135 for career reasons? GTFOH, dont call out guys who you know are not going to fight you for promotional reasons or guys that are tailor made for you at a higher weight classes. Broner hasnt earned the cherry picking right yet, and for some reason he feels entitled like most GB fighters. Broner should clear the division he is in, which I know he can then call out the big boys. I was impressed with his dismantling of DeMarco but lets first see how he deals with fighters who are just as slick as he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
                He will rule 135 because he is just too big and strong for the weight class. As I have said in the past about Donaire, until these guys settle at the weight class they should really be at, their opponents will simply be overmatched. In reality Broner should be at 140/147 and in reality Donaire should be at 130, maybe even 135. Even though they make these lighter weights, their frames are built for higher weights. I am not taking anything away from them but they probably won't be truly challenged or put in danger until they move up some more. I would love to see Broner/Pac at 140-147.
                Finally someone notices this. But in there defense, many of their opponents are doing the same thing. So many of these fighters really belong at higher weight classes. They are making a mockery of the purpose of weight divisions. Few of them truly belong there. Broner walks around at 150 lbs. What in the world is he doing at 135? What in the world was he doing at 130 even? Haha. Same with Donaire and many others.

Broner vs. Pac is a fantasy match up by the way. Why even allow yourself to think of that fight when it's not even possible for so many reasons?

Comment

ITs good Broner wants to clean out the 135's

But

The main fight he needs to is Gamboa

Broner KO's Gamboa

don't go anywhere until he fights and KO's Gamboa

Comment

Not trying to say I told you so but Broner knows what would happen to him at 140. He is going to stay at 135 and beat smaller dudes for a while before he is ready to lose that 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha & Omega View Post
                      He will rule 135 because he is just too big and strong for the weight class. As I have said in the past about Donaire, until these guys settle at the weight class they should really be at, their opponents will simply be overmatched. In reality Broner should be at 140/147 and in reality Donaire should be at 130, maybe even 135. Even though they make these lighter weights, their frames are built for higher weights. I am not taking anything away from them but they probably won't be truly challenged or put in danger until they move up some more. I would love to see Broner/Pac at 140-147.
                      That doesn't make any sense to be honest. This is how boxing works. If your body can make the weight then you can fight in that division. If someone can make 135 they are a lightweight. If they make 122 a junior featherweight.

Comment

Working...
                      X