Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is popularity more valuable than integrity in modern society?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Why is popularity more valuable than integrity in modern society?

For instance -

Cheryl Cole is popular because she is hot, a former pop idol winner, and was married to a famous footballer. However, these mediocre traits allowed her to become a judge of other peoples talent on X-Factor, which in turn made her the most famous woman in Britain. While she is semi-talented in regards to her singing voice, it's nothing you can't find in any decent karaoke bar across the country. Despite this, her average accomplishments have equated to enormous success, both financially and popularity wise.

Thus, it baffles me as to how young children can look up to this woman as a role model? To be fair, she isn't a bad role model (aside from the racial assaults) but why should young children aspire to be like her over a doctor, a mathematician, or even a music artist with a shred of soul and integrity?

While the old adage rings true 'don't hate the player hate the game' I can't help but feel that the excessive and almost pathetic worship of popularity over real, tangible achievement, has led to the degradation of society on an almost destructive level. People no longer see hard work as a route to success because celebrity can give an individual a ticket to the easy life, regardless of their personal characteristics or talent. Celebrities, the media, and society, all promote this notion, whether its through a young girl buying a magazine because Jordan is on the front, or an advertisement displaying the latest c-list fitness video. However, we continue to believe it, we continue to buy it, and while we know it's not good for us, we continue to worship it. Celebrity is the religion of the modern age.

It's an empty and hollow world we live in and when I have kids, I intend to protect them from it as best I can.

It's a kid thing.

Case and point......young girls are attracted to looks. Older women are attracted to qualities. It's really as simple as that.

Kids are shallow, and they always will be.

Simple appearance of another person influences their mind.

Cole is hot as hell, and so every young person likes her.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
    Last edited by Run; 05-31-2011, 05:39 AM.

Comment

If you look at Cole's demographic in fan base,

I highly doubt older women are fans of Cheryl Cole. Most of them are probably under the age of 30. But of course old dudes are a fan of hers because they want to shag her.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Originally posted by RwK View Post
        It's a kid thing.

Case and point......young girls are attracted to looks. Older women are attracted to qualities. It's really as simple as that.

Kids are shallow, and they always will be.

Simple appearance of another person influences their mind.

Cole is hot as hell, and so every young person likes her.
        Much deeper than that...

I think everyone is concerned with looks and status. You can even make an argument that the older people get, the more shallow they become, especially in a city like Miami where I live.

I think it's because people are selfish and self absorbed. Everyone is a star, everyone is special. That's what you are told a trillion times growing up in this country.

It's like Americans expect to be given success and forget what it's like to earn it.

Basically this younger generation is straight trash.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
          For instance -

Cheryl Cole is popular because she is hot, a former pop idol winner, and was married to a famous footballer. However, these mediocre traits allowed her to become a judge of other peoples talent on X-Factor, which in turn made her the most famous woman in Britain. While she is semi-talented in regards to her singing voice, it's nothing you can't find in any decent karaoke bar across the country. Despite this, her average accomplishments have equated to enormous success, both financially and popularity wise.

Thus, it baffles me as to how young children can look up to this woman as a role model? To be fair, she isn't a bad role model (aside from the racial assaults) but why should young children aspire to be like her over a doctor, a mathematician, or even a music artist with a shred of soul and integrity?

While the old adage rings true 'don't hate the player hate the game' I can't help but feel that the excessive and almost pathetic worship of popularity over real, tangible achievement, has led to the degradation of society on an almost destructive level. People no longer see hard work as a route to success because celebrity can give an individual a ticket to the easy life, regardless of their personal characteristics or talent. Celebrities, the media, and society, all promote this notion, whether its through a young girl buying a magazine because Jordan is on the front, or an advertisement displaying the latest c-list fitness video. However, we continue to believe it, we continue to buy it, and while we know it's not good for us, we continue to worship it. Celebrity is the religion of the modern age.

It's an empty and hollow world we live in and when I have kids, I intend to protect them from it as best I can.

Man, isn't that the truth. Green K.

Comment

Teh answer to all your questions TS.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              It's like Americans expect to be given success and forget what it's like to earn it.

That's hitting the nail on the head. My parents raised me to always be a proud, reliable, independent person with integrity. I'm honest and tell it like it is even if people don't like that.

BUT

In the end, integrity will win out as it always does. As people become more awed by popularity a time will come when real situations will arise. Those with integrity and the skills to win those battles will rise as usual to do what needs to be done. Popularity is fleeting, integrity stays with you as long as you choose to exercise it.

Comment

Without a doubt, the younger generation in the States are completely ridiculous. They're uneducated, materialistic, self centered dope heads.

I'm sorry but that's just a fact. Sure there are decent kids, but I've seen enough to know that today's youth will definitely fail this country.

I'm not exactly one to talk, but I call it like I see it.

Comment

We live in a very dumbed down culture. Art forms like music and movies have become so diluted that they're little more than money making exercises.

I read a quote from an American female writer, who said that women today are drowning in the triviality of celebrity. And....it's true. Not saying that men don't contribute to this deification of celebrities but c'mon, how many women do you know who are not obsessed with celebrities? I find it mind-blogging how people retain any sort of interest in the life of Jordan and Kim Kardashian.

I truly believe that people aren't as intelligent anymore. I don't mean academically - I mean socially. How they interact with other people, how they connect, the range of topics they can talk about. There are very few people I have met in my life who have blown me away. More and more, I find myself despairing at the blandness and banality of people. There doesn't seem to be much going on behind the surface level.

We live in a corporate, dumbed down society, which implores us to buy buy buy, and work hard every day in our mind-numbing jobs so we can keep buying buying buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                    Much deeper than that...

I think everyone is concerned with looks and status. You can even make an argument that the older people get, the more shallow they become, especially in a city like Miami where I live.

I think it's because people are selfish and self absorbed. Everyone is a star, everyone is special. That's what you are told a trillion times growing up in this country.

The last generation said that about our generation and the generation before said the same thing about theirs... Maybe it isn't a generational thing, maybe it's just the fact that kids are little shits.

Comment

Working...
                    X