No announcement yet.

Dibella: "Martin Murray is the desired opponent" [for Martinez]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    This is all fine, he deserves to cash in, but lets stop this p4p talk. He should be
    happy to be anywhere in top 10 with that kind of comp
    That is certainly a fair way to look at it, and Martinez gets the benefit of the doubt that really most fighters don't.

Comment

Is Junior suspended?

Comment

Originally posted by ~Django~ View Post
        Is Junior suspended?
        He is still recovering from his broken face, which will probably take longer than any suspension he gets.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Django~ View Post
          Is Junior suspended?
          maybe in nevada temporarily but I don't think nevada has made their ruling yet. They take a long time before they have their little meetings.

Regardless, Chavez jr vs Martinez is planned for September. Could even be in Texas (Cowboys stadium?) where there are no rules lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            Mayweather and Pacquiao get ripped to shreds for fighting guys like Cotto and Margarito

Martin Murray....wtf?
            I won't talk about Mayweather, other than the shitty Victor Ortiz I think he's fighting the right guys.

But about Pac, I can't say that his level of competition is higher than Martínez's.

Pac's last fights

Bradley - Lost (the scorecards were bad he actually won that fight)

Marquez at 144 - Won (moving Marquez up two weight classes and still got an extremely controversial decision, IMO he clearly lost)

Mosley - Won (No wins in 2 years, completely shot)

Margarito at 150 - Won (Weight drained, having only beaten García before in that year because he was suspended for one year after the Mosley incident)

Clottey - Won (Coming of a loss against Cotto)

Martínez's last fights

Jr - Won (Not the best boxer ever, but he's around 180, the guy was huge)

Macklin - Won (I clearly had Macklin winning against Sturm, but was coming of a loss)

Barker - Won (Least known opponent of Martínez, not worthy by name, the kid was though but I get it, not enough for a guy like Martínez)

Dzinziruk - Won (Undefeated at 154, WBO champ)

Williams - Won (The guy was rumored to fight Pac before this fight, now most guys are going to say he was a bum but at that moment he was one of the most feared guys in boxing)

Pavlik - Won (Another huge 160 guy, Martínez was fighting his second fight at 160 and Pavlik was considered the best MW in the world ... Again, most people will say that he was a bum but then again at that moment he wasn't considered like that)

Comment

If those are the options, I hope it's Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                Martinez fighting Murray is like Mayweather fighting a Malignaggi, Lopez, Kirkland, Angulo. Can you imagine the s**t he'd get for that???

Mayweather fighting Mosley, Ortiz, Cotto > Sergio fighting Dzinziruk, Barker, Macklin, Chavez, and Murray

S**t, even Manny fought Timothy Bradley last time out, a Top 10 P4P and undefeated fighter.
                The difference is that Mayweather has loads of opponents available to him that have regularly been on American TV, have names, and/or bring high reward. Martinez on the other hand is in a division with a bunch euros who've barely had any American tv exposure, who are generally unaccomplished in comparison to other divisions, and that are nothing but low reward. Mayweather and Pacquiao would never fight a Golovkin equivalent. Mosley was coming off a huge Margarito win, Ortiz was coming off a huge Berto win, and Cotto was comming off a a huge PPV that did great numbers. Golovkin coming off a freaken Proksa win (with the lowest HBO ratings in 2012 and 2011) is nowhere near comparable. Martinez has nothing to him available to him like Mosley and a Ortiz in his division. The difference between Martinez and Mayweather, is that if there isn't a big name opponent available for fight, Mayweather goes into retirement while Martinez just fights a tuneup (if you want to call a top 10 opponent a tuneup) in Argentina until something bigger shows up.
                Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
                  I won't talk about Mayweather, other than the shitty Victor Ortiz I think he's fighting the right guys.

But about Pac, I can't say that his level of competition is higher than Martínez's.

Pac's last fights

Bradley - Lost (the scorecards were bad he actually won that fight)

Marquez at 144 - Won (moving Marquez up two weight classes and still got an extremely controversial decision, IMO he clearly lost)

Mosley - Won (No wins in 2 years, completely shot)

Margarito at 150 - Won (Weight drained, having only beaten García before in that year because he was suspended for one year after the Mosley incident)

Clottey - Won (Coming of a loss against Cotto)

Martínez's last fights

Jr - Won (Not the best boxer ever, but he's around 180, the guy was huge)

Macklin - Won (I clearly had Macklin winning against Sturm, but was coming of a loss)

Barker - Won (Least known opponent of Martínez, not worthy by name, the kid was though but I get it, not enough for a guy like Martínez)

Dzinziruk - Won (Undefeated at 154, WBO champ)

Williams - Won (The guy was rumored to fight Pac before this fight, now most guys are going to say he was a bum but at that moment he was one of the most feared guys in boxing)

Pavlik - Won (Another huge 160 guy, Martínez was fighting his second fight at 160 and Pavlik was considered the best MW in the world ... Again, most people will say that he was a bum but then again at that moment he wasn't considered like that)
                  Pac level of comp is far higher, even recently. Every single one of Pac's opponents was a current/former champ, unlike Macklin, Barker, Murray. Barker has never even been Ring ranked top 10 at any weight, what's the last Pac opponent you can say the same for? What's Barker's best win? Murray's? Macklin's, officially?

Comment

Since he wants to fight in front of his fellow countryman and seeing he is coming off of knee surgery ill give him a pass but he better fight either
                    GGG
                    Mayweather at 154
                    Cotto 154
                    or
                    canelo 154 in that order after this damn fight

Comment

• There is nothing wrong with Martinez fighting Murray. Murray is a solid, underrated fighter and I'm sure Martinez wants to get confidence in his leg since the surgery before fighting a tougher opponent. Murray is a perfect homecoming opponent.
                      Team Martinez just needs to be careful not to underestimate Murray.

Comment

Working...
                      X