No announcement yet.

Looking for Info on Jeff Merritt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Info on Jeff Merritt

Hello, does anyone have anything else on Jeff Merritt of the 70's? Like a picture or other articles? I'm trying to find out if this is the same Jeff Merritt I recently met. Please contact me, as I have other communications FROM him that he would like to relate. He currently resides in Las Vegas.

Thank You,
    Jay Cruz

Originally posted by jaycruz
    Hello, does anyone have anything else on Jeff Merritt of the 70's? Like a picture or other articles? I'm trying to find out if this is the same Jeff Merritt I recently met. Please contact me, as I have other communications FROM him that he would like to relate. He currently resides in Las Vegas.

Thank You,
    Jay Cruz
    Sorry man, but I don't have any photos or artciles on Jeff Merritt, but I do remember a little bit about him.

Merritt was a tall, lanky heavyweight, whose probably best known for being the very first fighter that Don King took under his wing. And he was also known as one of hardest punchers from that era, and his natural power was said to be comparable to that of George Foreman and Earnie Shavers. He apparently had a hellacious left hook on him, and some might remember him for breaking Earnie Shavers' jaw in a sparring session (which caused Shavers' fight with Quarry to be postponed for a time). He reportedly was the only fighter to have ever knocked down the VERY tough, Ron Stander, as he gave Stander quite the beating in that fight.

Umm, beyond what's on his fight record, I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Although the last I heard of him he was living in Las Vegas, so that might be your guy. I just hope he's doing much better than what I last remember reading about him, because he was apparently going through some pretty tough times back then (there was a mention in a Don King book that stated Merritt used to hang around outside during the big fight cards in Las Vegas and beg for money, as well as some other rumours that he was heavuliy involved in drugs).

If it is in fact Jeff Merritt...wish him all the best!

Comment

Here's Merritt's career record from BoxRec;

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=021544

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
        Sorry man, but I don't have any photos or artciles on Jeff Merritt, but I do remember a little bit about him.

Merritt was a tall, lanky heavyweight, whose probably best known for being the very first fighter that Don King took under his wing. And he was also known as one of hardest punchers from that era, and his natural power was said to be comparable to that of George Foreman and Earnie Shavers. He apparently had a hellacious left hook on him, and some might remember him for breaking Earnie Shavers' jaw in a sparring session (which caused Shavers' fight with Quarry to be postponed for a time). He reportedly was the only fighter to have ever knocked down the VERY tough, Ron Stander, as he gave Stander quite the beating in that fight.

Umm, beyond what's on his fight record, I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Although the last I heard of him he was living in Las Vegas, so that might be your guy. I just hope he's doing much better than what I last remember reading about him, because he was apparently going through some pretty tough times back then (there was a mention in a Don King book that stated Merritt used to hang around outside during the big fight cards in Las Vegas and beg for money, as well as some other rumours that he was heavuliy involved in drugs).

If it is in fact Jeff Merritt...wish him all the best!

Yogi, Thanks for the info and stat page!

Yep, it's him because I asked today if Candy Slim was his old name, he said yes, as was Jeff "Triphammer" Merritt. I am his home health aid and have been visiting him everyday for the last month or so. He talks about the days of Ali and Don King and all that jazz. Why I'm writing this is because he is looking for old memorabilia that he can make a portfolio with.

Not sure of what things he did in the past outside of fight cards, but he's a great guy and healthwise, he is doing ok. After the stroke he lost some use of one leg so thats where I come in with assisted living tasks.

Doing a search, Merritt's name only appears briefly in very long and tedious articles about rankings, (the kind of pages you squint your eyes at) yet I have not found a bio of some sort. If you know other sources of history, maybe even people from back in the day hanging onto old stuff like videos, magazines or whatever, please forward this posting.

Thanks Again,
        Jay Cruz

jaycruz76@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaycruz
          Yogi, Thanks for the info and stat page!

Yep, it's him because I asked today if Candy Slim was his old name, he said yes, as was Jeff "Triphammer" Merritt. I am his home health aid and have been visiting him everyday for the last month or so. He talks about the days of Ali and Don King and all that jazz. Why I'm writing this is because he is looking for old memorabilia that he can make a portfolio with.

Not sure of what things he did in the past outside of fight cards, but he's a great guy and healthwise, he is doing ok. After the stroke he lost some use of one leg so thats where I come in with assisted living tasks.

Doing a search, Merritt's name only appears briefly in very long and tedious articles about rankings, (the kind of pages you squint your eyes at) yet I have not found a bio of some sort. If you know other sources of history, maybe even people from back in the day hanging onto old stuff like videos, magazines or whatever, please forward this posting.

Thanks Again,
          Jay Cruz

jaycruz76@aol.com
          Mr. Cruz, it's unfortunate to hear about Jeff's stroke, but it's really good to hear that he's getting taken care of and is also doing okay nowadays. I tried to find something else on Jeff that would help him out, but's there's not much to be found with the exception of this article;

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...m-jeff-merritt

I hope that article helps out a little bit.

I can also point you to a boxing site that just might be able to provide Jeff with what he's looking for. A lot of these guys who post on the following site have been boxing fans from even before Jeff's time and would no doubt have some memories to share...if not some actual articles that were written about Jeff during his boxing career (a couple guys have helped me with copied articles and such, and I'm only a fan);

www.cyberboxingzone.com

If you just explain the situation to the guys over there I can almost guarantee they will help you and Jeff with whatever they have and be more than happy to do so!

I also personally know of somebody who has video of what could've been Jeff's career best victory, and that was the 1st round KO of the former WBA champion, Ernie Terrell. If that's also something Jeff is looking for, hey I'll be glad to get a copy of it for him, without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
            Mr. Cruz, it's unfortunate to hear about Jeff's stroke, but it's really good to hear that he's getting taken care of and is also doing okay nowadays. I tried to find something else on Jeff that would help him out, but's there's not much to be found with the exception of this article;

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...m-jeff-merritt

I hope that article helps out a little bit.

I can also point you to a boxing site that just might be able to provide Jeff with what he's looking for. A lot of these guys who post on the following site have been boxing fans from even before Jeff's time and would no doubt have some memories to share...if not some actual articles that were written about Jeff during his boxing career (a couple guys have helped me with copied articles and such, and I'm only a fan);

www.cyberboxingzone.com

If you just explain the situation to the guys over there I can almost guarantee they will help you and Jeff with whatever they have and be more than happy to do so!

I also personally know of somebody who has video of what could've been Jeff's career best victory, and that was the 1st round KO of the former WBA champion, Ernie Terrell. If that's also something Jeff is looking for, hey I'll be glad to get a copy of it for him, without a doubt.
            Great info Yogi, I only knew of him because of the Shavers incident and I had heard he could punch.

Comment

Didn't he fight another feared heavyweight, Roy Williams?

Comment

Working...
              X