Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Spots Up The ATG Would Wins over Cotto and Tony Have Moved Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously tho, you don't have to fight ATGs every single time. Fighting the best fighters AT THE MOMENT makes you an ATG. Cotto and Margarito were among the best at WW in 08. Floyd retired instead. GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by Burner © View Post
      They wouldve simply said he wouldve been ducking other fighters. Hell I remember when he was ducking Cory Spinks, Vivian Harris and Karmazin. Never fails on this site.

He would be no higher than he is now had he beat Cotto and Margarito around 07-08.
      Im pretty much in agreement with that.

Comment

I don't have ATG rankings but wins over Miguel and Tony would indisputably have pushed him up the all time ranking. And not only that, but they would have been fantastic fights/events.

The idea being perpetuated that, oh well, they wouldn't have sh-t for his resume cos Cotto/Margs aren't ATG greats is nonsensical.

Floyd doesn't have a single close to prime ATG on his resume (not saying this as a criticism). Castillo and Corrales (both of whom I love) aren't ATG but they are fantastic wins on his resume. Tony and Miguel would have been comparable, and possibly even better wins.

The thing is, in a way, a discussion about Floyd's ATG standing is not really the point. He's an ATG who doesn't really care where some nerds on the internet ranks him.

So for, the issue boils down to this - were fights against Cotto and Margarito worthwhile fights? Would they have really been great events? Would the excitement going into the fights have been palpable? Would they probably have been great fights?

The answer to all those, for me anyway, is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
          I don't have ATG rankings but wins over Miguel and Tony would indisputably have pushed him up the all time ranking. And not only that, but they would have been fantastic fights/events.

The idea being perpetuated that, oh well, they wouldn't have sh-t for his resume cos Cotto/Margs aren't ATG greats is nonsensical.

Floyd doesn't have a single close to prime ATG on his resume (not saying this as a criticism). Castillo and Corrales (both of whom I love) aren't ATG but they are fantastic wins on his resume. Tony and Miguel would have been comparable, and possibly even better wins.

The thing is, in a way, a discussion about Floyd's ATG standing is not really the point. He's an ATG who doesn't really care where some nerds on the internet ranks him.

So for, the issue boils down to this - were fights against Cotto and Margarito worthwhile fights? Would they have really been great events? Would the excitement going into the fights have been palpable? Would they probably have been great fights?

The answer to all those, for me anyway, is yes.
          I really want to see someone refute that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
            I almost wanna cry at the absurdity at this thread. Prime Cotto, Margarito, Williams aren't worthy of Money Maiii but Victor Ortiz and Robert Guerrero are? lmfaooooooooooooooooo

But Bobby G and Ortiz just beat Berto, dawg. He's number one at WW. Take the tests Pac!
            Robert guerrero is way better then margarito with a better resume.

Comment

Idgaf about his personality, attitude, etc. matter of fact, I think Floyd is an excellent boxer and I luv watching him fight. Ive also said that his toughness is underrated. Basically, Floyd is as a complete a fighter we've ever seen. My beef wifh him is that he didnt fight vs the best fighters available after Gatti (or JLC). His fkn retirement hurt his legacy whether F L O M O S want to admit it or not. The fact that this thread exists, proves just that.
              I agree with everything you said. That two year vacation was the biggest mistake of his career, IMO. I don't blame people for calling him a cherry picker. There's a lot more he could have done, but didn't.

Comment

I really want to see someone refute that.
                Oh they will. Don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordank View Post
                  Robert guerrero is way better then margarito with a better resume.
                  He sure does, Guerrro definitely has a better Resume at Welterweight where Mayweather is fighting him. Mayweather ALWAYS fights fighters at their best weights. Definitely doesn't cherry pick.

Marquez, Cotto, Hatton, Guerrero all at their best weights . Money is da truth

Comment

A win over prime undefeated Cotto & prime Margarito is definitely better than Baldomir, Judah & Hatton.

Comment

Before the Margarito fight and leading up to that fight's finish, Mayweather/Cotto was the fight everyone was talking about. It was Mayweather/Pac before Mayweather/Pac.

Every thread on this stupid site was dedicated to how that fight played out, every thread analyzing and debating if Floyd had the power, tenacity to keep Cotto off of him, and vice-versa.

Two prime Welterweights, headed to a HoF career...it was the 2007/2008 version of De La Hoya/Trindad.

We got the fight five years later when it didn't matter and while the fight was entertaining, it was nothing like it could have been. When I grow old and pass on boxing to my kids (my son now loving Trout for beating Cotto) I'll always think about how that fight could have been in 07/08. Back when Cotto was pure Terminator and Mayweather was lightning. There was even the spectacle of a worthy trilogy for Mayweather. Now, his first loss will be to Robert Guerrero

Comment

Working...
                      X