Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people start saying Floyd is ducking the lineal MW champ you know he is great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RapidFire26 View Post
    After they have their respective fights in April and May (assuming they both win) the ball is in Floyd's court. Do you believe Martinez would reject a fight with Floyd? Floyd gets him more money than Chavez does, so why would he reject that at his age?

He may have wanted to fight Floyd in May if not for the injury since that reduced the amount of time he could use to lose weight in a healthy manner. He may have also made his April fight because he also knew Mayweather was not going to choose him for his May return. The Argentine government also wanted him to fight there and I'm sure he wanted to have a fight there as well.
    I don't like a 39 year old coming off of surgery having to move down to 154 for a payday. That's all that fight is for Martinez. He got his payday vs Chavez jr and is making millions fighting other guys as well.

Fight should be at 160 if it were to ever happen. I just don't think it will.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldSugar View Post
      I don't like a 39 year old coming off of surgery having to move down to 154 for a payday. That's all that fight is for Martinez. He got his payday vs Chavez jr and is making millions fighting other guys as well.

Fair enough, but Sergio seems to want the fight. I certainly do think money is the primary factor motivating Sergio, but I do think he believes he has a plan to beat Floyd. He's made it clear he thinks Floyd is the best fighter in the world, so there is a legacy component for him I believe.

There's also a lot more money in a fight with Floyd than a Chavez Jr. rematch. Martinez still makes significantly less than say someone like Mayweather does, so I'm sure he'd like the fight with Mayweather so as further secure his financial future.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoldSugar View Post

I agree that Martinez is questionable now with that injury and also knowing that if a fight with Floyd would happen, it would not happen for another 10 months or so. Age will be a question for Martinez. Even Martinez is now stating that he only has a few fights left in him.

Its unfortunate for Floyd because whoever is there now will not help his resume much. Manny just lost, Martinez fight doesn't look like it can be made and Martinez is getting up there in age (close to retirement). Canelo has to still prove he can beat top fighters and needs more time/experience. Guerrero just moved up to WW and all he did was what Ortiz already did (ie. beat Berto).

Previously, Floyd had good options that he let go by. Now time is running out and the options are not that great unless he waits for those fighters to be credible opponents by boosting up their resume .... but time will not be on his side and he isn't the type to fight those opponents when they are high risk opponents.

Comment

• if sergio was worth some coin he would've fought him already and sergio would've lost by 3 or 4 rounds

Comment

• Originally posted by fitefan View Post
            if sergio was worth some coin he would've fought him already and sergio would've lost by 3 or 4 rounds
            I don't know. Floyd is running out of options in terms of a big money fight. I really think Sergio is the most marketable opponent for Floyd outside of Canelo. It does look unlikely now, but I hope it eventually gets done (assuming neither loses in the near future).

Comment

• Originally posted by fitefan View Post
              if sergio was worth some coin he would've fought him already and sergio would've lost by 3 or 4 rounds
              For Floyd its a balancing act between money and risk. For example, Manny was going to bring him more money than anyone else but Floyd would not take the risk.

Martinez, I'm sure would have brought in close to the same money as some of his previous opponents if not more. The reason is that Floyd would not be heavily favored unlike his previous opponents. That attracts many fans ..... but the risk of losing was just too high that Floyd would not have gone for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
                I agree that Martinez is questionable now with that injury and also knowing that if a fight with Floyd would happen, it would not happen for another 10 months or so. Age will be a question for Martinez. Even Martinez is now stating that he only has a few fights left in him.

Its unfortunate for Floyd because whoever is there now will not help his resume much. Manny just lost, Martinez fight doesn't look like it can be made and Martinez is getting up there in age (close to retirement). Canelo has to still prove he can beat top fighters and needs more time/experience. Guerrero just moved up to WW and all he did was what Ortiz already did (ie. beat Berto).

Previously, Floyd had good options that he let go by. Now time is running out and the options are not that great unless he waits for those fighters to be credible opponents by boosting up their resume .... but time will not be on his side and he isn't the type to fight those opponents when they are high risk opponents.
                Floyd also probably only has a few fights left in him, so I do hope Martinez and Floyd still fight. I do think Martinez is a willing opponent and if given time to lose weight in a relatively healthy manner would fight Floyd. After their respective fights in April and May the ball is in Floyd's court. I truly believe that.

It would probably be difficult for Martinez, but if given the requested amount of time then I have no problem just as I had no major problem with Ward fighting Dawson at 168. Martinez is an adult and a champion and it would be his own decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidFire26 View Post
                  Floyd also probably only has a few fights left in him, so I do hope Martinez and Floyd still fight. I do think Martinez is a willing opponent and if given time to lose weight in a relatively healthy manner would fight Floyd. After their respective fights in April and May the ball is in Floyd's court. I truly believe that.

It would probably be difficult for Martinez, but if given the requested amount of time then I have no problem just as I had no major problem with Ward fighting Dawson at 168. Martinez is an adult and a champion and it would be his own decision.
                  A year or two ago, I can see Martinez going down and nobody questioning it much but next year will make it almost 5 years that he hasn't fought at 154. At this stage, going down to 154 would be asking a lot from Martinez. It is harder to do as you get older. Possibly it can be made at a CW but then again it was Floyd who recently said that he wants to fight his opponents at their best weight.

Comment

Floyd is at the tail end of his career. He doesn't need Martinez for his resume. He doesn't need Guerrero or Canelo for his resume either. He's a first ballot hall of famer and an ATG with or without the 3.

Whatever he does is just the cherry on top.
                    Last edited by GoldSugar; 12-26-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

A year or two ago, I can see Martinez going down and nobody questioning it much but next year will make it almost 5 years that he hasn't fought at 154. At this stage, going down to 154 would be asking a lot from Martinez. It is harder to do as you get older. Possibly it can be made at a CW but then again it was Floyd who recently said that he wants to fight his opponents at their best weight.
                      He's also said a Martinez fight is possible at a CW, which Martinez has offered as long as he is given time to lose the weight.

He also fought JMM at a CW above the JWW limit even though JMM had never fought above LW up to that point.

Comment

Working...
                      X