Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was a better role model for Black people? Louis or Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

both men were great but like It's Ovah said (great post btw) louis was the clean spoken gentleman in public society would accept, ali wasn't. i know this is louis/ali but check this videos out, his son explains how he was told to be and how he was.

here's the entire documentary (Joe Louis - America's Hero Betrayed)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y83kTl95qI

Comment

And Louis received what any "compliant" black would receive regardless of his obedience, a cold dose of reality. In the end compliance isn't enough, fitting in isn't enough, being America's hero isn't enough because it will never change the color of his skin or his status in society. America's hero ended up flat broke and eventually transformed into a freakish caricature of his former self.

As long as the best and most true parts of a person are neatly tucked within the compartment of "correct" social behavior things never change. Changes occur when boldness is present, when someone decides they’ve had enough and sit somewhere different on a bus, or when they peacefully march in droves down a city street.

What a black man is today can only truly be understood under an Ali archetype, because Ali could be more of himself. Alot of these cats out there that agents and promoters try to market are nothing more than cartoons crafted to make money but when we look closer we see drug addicts, womanizers, and abusers. What we see is the person, flawed perhaps but real and someone all of us can identify with if not ultimately despise.

I can't identify with compliancy, not when my natural instinct is to resist. I'm glad I was raised in a world where I can be more of myself and feel comfortable about doing so, because rise or fall, it'll be the real me.
      Last edited by Slip Stream; 12-24-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Hard to say.

Comment

Well, as a cracker I feel like it's maybe not my place to say. I'll say this though. Race is of the utmost irrelevance when thinking of achievements. I never in my life have ever even postulated who the best white anything is, nor have I questioned sex. I'd be perfectly comfortable in a world where the KO king was 110lb 180 year old asain woman. The idea that being black and successful automatically qualifies you as a role model is in itself racist. The idea that a man can be a hero to a race is flawed. You might agree with say MLK about racial issues, but what of religion? Gay rights etc? It's funny ho0w often gays lean on Martin...he'd told them they're going to hell...but since that have a similarity he's major reference. In short, just because your black doesn't mean either one of them serves as a good role-model. I'd say if you want to take a look at how to use public opinion in your favor in regard to negative or positive sentiments one of the two would be a great model. I've always wondered. Mostly as a child. Why positive connotations make racism ok. Not to be a whiney hippie...In fact I honestly feel it's racism the recognizes racism......kinda like the old little mermaid cover. You've got to have a dirty mind to see the dildo tower. Most kids didn't recognize it until dirty whore moms pointed it out...it's underhanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
            Well, as a cracker I feel like it's maybe not my place to say. I'll say this though. Race is of the utmost irrelevance when thinking of achievements. I never in my life have ever even postulated who the best white anything is, nor have I questioned sex. I'd be perfectly comfortable in a world where the KO king was 110lb 180 year old asain woman. The idea that being black and successful automatically qualifies you as a role model is in itself racist. The idea that a man can be a hero to a race is flawed. You might agree with say MLK about racial issues, but what of religion? Gay rights etc? It's funny ho0w often gays lean on Martin...he'd told them they're going to hell...but since that have a similarity he's major reference. In short, just because your black doesn't mean either one of them serves as a good role-model. I'd say if you want to take a look at how to use public opinion in your favor in regard to negative or positive sentiments one of the two would be a great model. I've always wondered. Mostly as a child. Why positive connotations make racism ok. Not to be a whiney hippie...In fact I honestly feel it's racism the recognizes racism......kinda like the old little mermaid cover. You've got to have a dirty mind to see the dildo tower. Most kids didn't recognize it until dirty whore moms pointed it out...it's underhanded.
            I'm a honkie also.

Comment

Working...
            X