Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to say to my coach if I'm moving to a new gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to say to my coach if I'm moving to a new gym?

I'm thinking of moving to a bigger gym; it's not decided YET, but i'm planning to soon. The bigger gym has a variety of equipments and the instructors are really IN TO the trainings, if you know what I mean; they have proper training menus so I would know what I would be doing that day, but here's the thing; the gym I'm going right now, is very small and well it's run by my coach who was a 3rd world minimum weight boxer back in the 80's and 2~3 trainers. i know he has a hell lot to offer to the members of the gym, but he doesn't actually teach any defenses or any new punches. Some of you may know this but i can only throw a 123 although i've been going to the gym for 7~8 months now. My coach doesn't teach me any defenses, no weaving no head slip, not even footworks. i seriously don't know the basic ****ing footworks nor defenses. I see people who've been entering sparring matches for 2 years and doesn't even know how to use the speedbag. I'm pretty frustrated about the lack of teaching, so I decided to change to a better gym; i'll have to take the train and it costs more but I think it's defenently worth it. That doesn't mean that my gym is bad or anything, my coach is extremely nice and an awesome person to talk to; really friendly. He has helped me grow as a person, so I don't know what to say to him; should I tell him my feeling honestly? I don't want to hurt his feelings or anything, but I can swear that I can not get stronger if I continue to train at my current gym. I can't just say,
    "Coach I'm sorry but I want to change to a better gym because you're not teaching me right" can't I?

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
    I'm thinking of moving to a bigger gym; it's not decided YET, but i'm planning to soon. The bigger gym has a variety of equipments and the instructors are really IN TO the trainings, if you know what I mean; they have proper training menus so I would know what I would be doing that day, but here's the thing; the gym I'm going right now, is very small and well it's run by my coach who was a 3rd world minimum weight boxer back in the 80's and 2~3 trainers. i know he has a hell lot to offer to the members of the gym, but he doesn't actually teach any defenses or any new punches. Some of you may know this but i can only throw a 123 although i've been going to the gym for 7~8 months now. My coach doesn't teach me any defenses, no weaving no head slip, not even footworks. i seriously don't know the basic ****ing footworks nor defenses. I see people who've been entering sparring matches for 2 years and doesn't even know how to use the speedbag. I'm pretty frustrated about the lack of teaching, so I decided to change to a better gym; i'll have to take the train and it costs more but I think it's defenently worth it. That doesn't mean that my gym is bad or anything, my coach is extremely nice and an awesome person to talk to; really friendly. He has helped me grow as a person, so I don't know what to say to him; should I tell him my feeling honestly? I don't want to hurt his feelings or anything, but I can swear that I can not get stronger if I continue to train at my current gym. I can't just say,
    "Coach I'm sorry but I want to change to a better gym because you're not teaching me right" can't I?
    I wouldn't degrade his teaching. That's a bit insulting since he is a trainer. I'd be more conservative and say ''Hey coach I'm thinking about moving to a bigger gym, I know some guys that go there and they invited me down for some sparring, and I feel like I can learn alot from them. I just want to try something different'.

You know, make a little bull**** up and you're good!

Comment

thanks uturn, thing is i actually told him in the past that i was changing my gym (different one) and i told him im gonna get busy with school so i rather change to a nearer gym lol. but i that failed cause my parents declined it. but the one im going to, they say its fine so thats a relief.

im not criticizing him, his teachings stick to the BASICS OF THE BASICS, if you know what I mean

Comment

if your coach has been honest with you then as a man you should be honest with him.

when i switched gyms to turn pro it was hard to tell him but it was in my best interest to switch and I atleast owed him that much to tell him.

you gotta look out for yourself in this sport, just try not to burn bridges.........Rockin'

Comment

Just say you have some friends over there and you'd like to train with your friends, done. Don't insult the man, but do leave that gym. Life is short, you want to learn, go get taught.

Comment

I'm sure he's had people leave his gym and go to another in the past. He's probably had some people leave their gym and join his, its the nature of the beast. You can either tell him you're moving to a different gym, offer no details, but just say its personal reasons. Or you can tell him, that you're getting bored, or burned out, and you're going to see if a change of scenery would inspire you.

Or you could say, "I'm switching gyms, because i'm tired of you milking me for every last dollar old man. It shouldn't take 8 months to learn one combo. How 'bout you stop worrying about your fighters becoming too good too fast and moving on to bigger and better gyms, and you start worrying about being a proper coach, Foo!" Then spit on the floor and rip a pocket off your shirt.
            Storm out the front door and flip him off. Just make sure you have your gym shoes in your bag. Cause it sucks to make a great exit and then have to walk back in to get your shoes or your car keys.

Comment

Working...
            X