Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Segura's Rise Continues, Calderon's Career Possibly Over

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Segura's Rise Continues, Calderon's Career Possibly Over

By Jake Donovan - The first fight marked the end of Ivan Calderon’s long run as lineal junior flyweight king.

Saturday night might have ended his career.

Both instances have come at the heavy hands of Mexican knockout artist Giovani Segura, who made the first successful defense of his junior flyweight championship on Saturday evening with a third round stoppage of Calderon in Mexicali, Mexico.

The fight was fun for as long as it lasted, but never had the chance to develop into the fantastic Fight of the Year entry which took place last August. Calderon tried his mightiest to reverse the course of their first fight, but his pure boxing ability was only going to carry him so far.

It was enough to remain competitive in the first two rounds, if not win them outright. The plan was for Calderon to establish his jab and find any way to prevent Segura from working his way inside.

But when you are only 5’0”, on the wrong side of your 30’s and prime and boast minimal punching power, keeping an opponent at bay is almost always a struggle.

Segura realized in this in their first fight and kept imposing his will until he was able to break the diminutive Puerto Rican. He kept it in mind for this bout, even if having to overcome a bit of adversity.

The heavy-handed Mexican saw his body attack come into scrutiny by referee Samuel Viruet, who warned the defending champion for throwing low.

Whereas most fighters would’ve changed up and proceed with nothing but head shots, Segura remained convince that the best course of action would be to break Calderon’s spirit and will.

As such, he never quit throwing downstairs – at least until Calderon decided he could no longer take the punishment. [Click Here To Read More]

Iván Calderón had a good hall of fame career. He should retire now.

Giovanni Segura should make 108 one last time and fight Román González.

Comment

Originally posted by MXboxingfan View Post

idk bro...He looked slower imo.I would like to see it at 112

Comment

Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
        idk bro...He looked slower imo.I would like to see it at 112
        When was Giovanni Segura fast?

Well, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam should be the guy he should fight at 112.

Comment

Ivan does not need to retire.. He can still beat most boxers and get paid

Comment

LOLS... another puerto rican quits on his knees (j/k ricans)

Comment

When was Giovanni Segura fast?

Well, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam should be the guy he should fight at 112.
              I've been watching Segura for a while & he has looked quicker than tonight..He's never had blazing speed like Pacquiao, but he has looked faster in the past..As a matter of fact in his last fight against Calderón he looked faster than tonight..When he goes up U'll see what I mean..

Comment

U'r right about Calderón retiring, even thou he ONLY has 2 defeats, his age doesn't help & in his last 5 fights(2 vs Mayol, Iribe & the 2 vs Segura) he's gotten hit more times than the rest of his career put together...

& Segura should go up to 112lbs on his next fight & I beleive he has the ability to clean the division out..He looked really slow & lethargic tonight & I'm pretty sure it had to do with struggling to make the weight..What helped Segura is that he's strong & didn't go off his plan to attack the body & it paid off, probably quicker than what he imagined!!!

Comment

so much for you boy winning easy prboxingcotto

Comment

Calderon is definitely not a HOF fighter. I dpnt understand how many times I have to say that. He only beat 4 top fighters his entire career. He never unified at Minimumweight. He is at a tiny weight class. What makes people think he is going to get in the HOF?

Comment

Working...
                    X