No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Klitschko Set To Add To Growing Pile of Accomplishment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Klitschko Set To Add To Growing Pile of Accomplishment

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - His accomplishments precede him long before he reaches the ring. • Consensus world heavyweight champion. • Thirteen successful title defenses. • Seven defenses against current or former world champions. • Unbeaten for more than nine years. • A KO winner in 50 of 62 career fights. And even at a freshly-minted age 37, he shows no signs of slowing down.

Yet somehow, Ukrainian strongman and reigning IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko remains one of the sport’s most consistently underappreciated commodities.

The 6-foot-6 slugger, last active in November, will return to action on Saturday night in Mannheim, Germany when he faces German-based Italian challenger Francesco Pianeta – the No. 13 non-belted heavyweight in the world, according to the IBO’s Top 100 computerized rankings.

The fight is getting a large dose of apathy from the mainstream boxing press, which finds itself preoccupied with the latest belligerent missives from Floyd Mayweather Jr. and the insistent claims from Robert Guerrero – who’s spent the last year goading his way into the spotlight – that he’s actually the civilized and gentlemanly alternative to “Money’s” longstanding theatrics.

Much of that can inattention can be laid at the feet of Pianeta, a heretofore anonymous 28-year-old who’s ranked no higher than seventh by any of the most significant organizations and whose highest-ranked opponent was a 47-year-old version of ex-WBC champ Oliver McCall.

Not exactly the stuff heavyweight superfights are made of.

In fact, the biggest buzz surrounding Klitschko heading into fight week had zero to do with Pianeta, and everything to do with the $23.3 million purse bid forked over by Russian-based promoter Vladimir Hryunov for a subsequent date with former Olympic gold medalist Alexander Povetkin in the summer. [Click Here To Read More]

IBO president Ed Levine is right and I've been saying this myself before; Wladimir will only be truly appreciated once he's no longer active.

Wladimir is an all time great heavyweight.

Comment

Author thinks Riddick 'the one hit wonder' Bowe is greater than Wlad, Foreman, Frazier, Holyfield and Tyson.

Thats laughable.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
        IBO president Ed Levine is right and I've been saying this myself before; Wladimir will only be truly appreciated once he's no longer active.

I agree - they do not get the credit they deserve but these are short sighted people - both Wladimir and Vitali would of been competetitive in any era as the past champs never fought anyone there size and athletisim the rare giant that did fight were slow big lumps but not the Klitschko's they in my Book will go down in the top 10 of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyu View Post
          I agree - they do not get the credit they deserve but these are short sighted people - both Wladimir and Vitali would of been competetitive in any era as the past champs never fought anyone there size and athletisim the rare giant that did fight were slow big lumps but not the Klitschko's they in my Book will go down in the top 10 of all time.

Wladimir, sure; but Vitali, no way.

Comment

Maybe Wladimir, not Vitali.

As for slow big lumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYp_OqrKhfc

I do not find Carnera's style much worse than Klitschko's . They are both good though, especially Wladimir.

Comment

Wlad hasn't defended the Heavyweight crown 13 times, he was just a title holder until he beat Ibragimov, which makes it 9 defences. Using the rankings of an org that nobody considers a major title to make Wlad's opponents appear better than they are is weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                Author thinks Riddick 'the one hit wonder' Bowe is greater than Wlad, Foreman, Frazier, Holyfield and Tyson.

Thats laughable.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                Yeah. I thought wtf as well.

His remarks about Wlad was spot on though.

Comment

Why the disrespect for Vitali you morons? Sure, he´s getting old, but my guess would be that prime Vitali beats prime Wlad. Bigger, tougher and very awkward. Wlad himself said once (don´t ask me when and where) that Vitali would probably KO him if they ever fought. But we´ll never know so everyone is free to have an opinion no matter how wrong..
                  Last edited by Slowhand; 05-01-2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post

This ^^^^^^

And This ^^^^^ green sent.

Comment

Working...
                    X