Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins wouldn't be as great if he fought dudes his size...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopkins wouldn't be as great if he fought dudes his size...

Hopkins has had the physical advantage in just about all of his fights except a select few. With the exception of Tarver he hasn't looked that great with dudes that could be as physical as he can, see Calzaghe. I thought Hopkins won the Pascal fight but we saw him get dropped twice in the first few rounds. Which makes me believe that if he would've stuck to fighting dudes his size, he wouldn't be what he is and probably would've been KO'd by now. Pascal is decent and all, he beat Dawson and lost to Froch.. but there's no reason why 'Nard should've been dropped by him. Since he isn't known for his punching power.

Gonna say the same about Oscar at welterweight? BTW, how old was Hopkins against Calzaghe? You can't tell me he was in his prime, I don't give a damn how many problems he gave Pascal. You're also forgetting the Pavlik fight, he's actually taller than Bernard. Yes he did have a physical advantage, and yes it's possible he wouldn't have been QUITE as successfull, but I don't agree with jumping to the conclusion that he would have been KO'd by now, his defense has always been too good for that.

Comment

Come on dude.

Cory Spinks went 12 rounds with a middleweight Jermain Taylor but was stopped in 9 rounds by a welterweight Zab Judah.

Hopkins getting dropped by Pascal doesn't mean anything. He was caught with a nice short left hook on the inside that he didn't see coming, he got up and recovered instantly. Its boxing, it happens.

Comment

I think he got dropped because he's basically 46 years old and is starting to get caught by some "flash knockdown" shots that he used to be able to avoid. I doubt that it has anything to do with size - if anything, I think that Calzaghe was smaller than him (a slightly inflated super-middleweight, and by that point in his carrear B Hop was definitely a full-sized light heavy).

Comment

Originally posted by Precision View Post
          Come on dude.

Cory Spinks went 12 rounds with a middleweight Jermain Taylor but was stopped in 9 rounds by a welterweight Zab Judah.

Hopkins getting dropped by Pascal doesn't mean anything. He was caught with a nice short left hook on the inside that he didn't see coming, he got up and recovered instantly. Its boxing, it happens.
          Yes, and we all know damn well Bernard wouldn't have been caught with that **** years ago. To me, those knockdowns were a result of age. For example, we may see Shane go down against Pacman, but we've never really seen him go down before, except for against Forrest I think. A prime Mosley would give Pac hell, but now? He's basically a punching bag for Pac.

Comment

dude, hopkins was a middleweight for like 15 years and went to light heavyweight at age 41.

smh

maybe getting dropped had something to do with the fact he was 45? His legs didn't see all there in the beggenning of the fight. I've seen X take a lot harder shots over his long career than the one that dropped him in the 3rd round.

Hopkins has always been considered to have one of the best chins in boxing.

Comment

Antonio Tarver.

Comment

Tarver was coming down in weight to the tune of 30 plus pounds and he was almost 40.

Agree with the thread, Hopkins is a fraudulent bum who made his bones calling out ww's and Jmw's when he was a big mw.

And even with the size advantage he had, he always put on some of the worst, most boring fights of AT.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                  dude, hopkins was a middleweight for like 15 years and went to light heavyweight at age 41.

smh

maybe getting dropped had something to do with the fact he was 45? His legs didn't see all there in the beggenning of the fight. I've seen X take a lot harder shots over his long career than the one that dropped him in the 3rd round.

Hopkins has always been considered to have one of the best chins in boxing.
                  what happened to all this Hopkins isn't effected by age stuff? so first he isn't but now he is? if that's the case then it just goes to show that the only reason he has still been dominating is because he forces his opponents to move up in weight.

Originally posted by Chups View Post
                  Antonio Tarver.
                  that's the only guy you guys can say he fought that didn't have the physical advantage.. one dude. that's it. and if you read my initial post I mentioned him in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Gore View Post
                    Tarver was coming down in weight to the tune of 30 plus pounds and he was almost 40.

Agree with the thread, Hopkins is a fraudulent bum who made his bones calling out ww's and Jmw's when he was a big mw.

And even with the size advantage he had, he always put on some of the worst, most boring fights of AT.
                    so I'm sure David Tua getting knocked down and nearly out by the great Monte Barrett had nothing to do with age.

Step your trolling up man, you've been so predictable lately!

Comment

Working...
                    X