Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A LHW Prime Michael Spinks vs a LHW Prime Roy Jones Jr (POLL)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difficult indeed. i'd go with rjj though

Comment

Originally posted by chloelloyd View Post
      Ya it's tough. Honestly some of these former LHW'S would have raped a lot of the SMW'S fighting today .Ya I know, 175 is naturally bigger lol. But if the likes of Moorer or Spinks was around today and could 're hydrate', I can see them making 168 weight ins and come fight night comfortably around 177ish.
      Even Matthew Muhammad could probably brutalize Froch.
      could you imagine what moorer would do today lol ... it would be brutal.

Comment

Roy's speed and power I think would be too much. I keep seeing Roy snapping Virgil Hill's rib when I think of a prime Roy Jones at that weight... and Harding said Roy was pretty much a 168lber fighting at 175lbs. It'd be a hell of a fight. Too bad Lennox was around or else we could've seen Roy more at Heavyweight instead of that awkward easy win against Ruiz at 193lbs. Spinks had an awkward style and used what some fighters today don't know **** about which is a jab and knowing how to throw them in bunches. With Roy's athleticism I can see him countering the jabs. Roy definitely has the power and speed to stop Spinks too. I think Roy hit a lot harder than people realize when he had all his speed with it when younger. If you can't see a hard punch coming... good night. I'd have Roy by KO in the later rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
          Roy's speed and power I think would be too much. I keep seeing Roy snapping Virgil Hill's rib when I think of a prime Roy Jones at that weight... and Harding said Roy was pretty much a 168lber fighting at 175lbs. It'd be a hell of a fight. Too bad Lennox was around or else we could've seen Roy more at Heavyweight instead of that awkward easy win against Ruiz at 193lbs. Spinks had an awkward style and used what some fighters today don't know **** about which is a jab and knowing how to throw them in bunches. With Roy's athleticism I can see him countering the jabs. Roy definitely has the power and speed to stop Spinks too. I think Roy hit a lot harder than people realize when he had all his speed with it when younger. If you can't see a hard punch coming... good night. I'd have Roy by KO in the later rounds.
          Good post.
          Michael Spinks was EXTREMELY difficult though.
          The Spinkx had great boxing skills at 175, he got true brutal one punch KO power in both hands. The fact that Roy is 5'11, giving up a 4+ inch height advantage +another 2 inch of reach in Spink's favor will work against Roy.

Prime Roy at 175 was the most gifted athlete in boxing history (imo) but with Spinks(lhw version) just one momentary lapse was fatal. There were fights where everything was going well and suddenly the opponent ****ed up once and they pretty much got ended.

Marvin Johnson let his defense down for 1 second and got destroyed . Vonzell let his hands down once, just once and a right cross ended his career pretty much. Another fight Spink's victim went close to the ropes (Mustafa vs Spinks) and was just beaten into a semi coma in a flash.

The reason I mention these things is because Roy have the habit of doing all these. It honestly would not matter if Roy wins the first 8 rounds, as great as Roy was he will lose focus. Maybe once, but once is all Spinks need and that's it for Roy.

Spinks was a real master at catching your one mistake and taking full advantage of it. Too bad the LHW Division is no longer that popular and so few people know about Spinks other then his failing against a Prime Tyson at HW.

At LHW IMO he was the best h2h fighter.
          Last edited by chloelloyd; 09-13-2012, 07:05 AM.

Comment

It's pretty sad that people just blindly vote for Roy without having seen any of Spink's fights at lhw. And without attempting to justify on why Roy will win.Other then the generic 'Roy was so fast' responses.(I actually don't even know if half the people here watched ROY'S FIGHTS AT 175, much less Spink's lol)
            Last edited by chloelloyd; 09-13-2012, 07:04 AM.

Comment

The Spinks Jinx would put Jones Jnr to sleep before the 6th round, Jones whilst being the better fighter p4p would not be able to keep such a bigger, quick, skilled and powerful fighter off as Spinks. I honestly think it would be totally onesided and Jones would take a brutal beating.

Comment

Spinks in a close hard fought decision. His awkward herky-jerky way of fighting offsets Jones' marginal speed advantage just enough to edge it out.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Spinks in a close hard fought decision. His awkward herky-jerky way of fighting offsets Jones' marginal speed advantage just enough to edge it out.

Poet
                  I'll give Roy the benefit of the doubt since he was so amazing at 175 against the opponents he faced. I just don't see Roy surviving 12 against Spinks though. Sooner or later he will be caught. Spinks had a damn good chin too at 175. Certainly better then Roys, he punches much harder as well.
                  Like I posted above, there are so many factors working in Spink's favor, I just find it hard to see Roy surviving any sort of close decision without taking the risks he will need to damage Spinks, which inevitably will lead up to him getting kayoed.

Comment

once antonio tarver, a good rangy boxer with a ko punch, realized that all he had to do was jab over roy jones underdeveloped jab, fight on the backfoot and make roy jones come to him, it was good night...same thing, when lou del valle, got the knockdown on roy jones, except lou del valle, gave roy jones, too much respect...being that roy jones, is an unorthodox fighter, i'll give him 9 rounds, before the Jinx puts him to sleep...

Comment

Good to see that at least some people remember Spinks at LHW.

This guy was one of the greatest LHW'S of all times. If he had stayed at 175, he would have been 50-0. Just thinking about what he would have done in today's division is scary.

6'3, great boxing skills, massive power, great left hook, good chin at 175.
                      He might have made 168 as well with the 24 hour weight in rules. If he could make 168 effectively, I see him knocking out every single person there.

Comment

Working...
                      X