Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some clarification from the more knowledgeable MMA fans.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some clarification from the more knowledgeable MMA fans.

Now I enjoy a great MMA fight just as much as a great boxing match but I'm not too keen on all of its rulings, or strategies. One thing I've noticed throughout the years, and especially last night is,

where is the body work? There were multiple instances, whether the fight was on the ground, or up against the fence, where the two combatants were tied up angling for position, and an entire side of the body (rib area) was left wide open and it would never get worked on. Guys would just try and go for the head no matter what. I would think that a nice, solid blow to the rib area would weaken an opponent to make him lose his grip on an arm or whatever he was tying up.

Is it against the rules to hit when tied up like that, or do they just not focus on it?

Knees are body work.

Comment

Looking at the Lesnar v Cain fight is not the best example of good MMA. There are many fighters especially those with K-1 background or experienced in the game who mixes up their shots and/or choose their shots allot better.

Comment

You'll see a lot of strike to the body in MMA, but because of the fact that you have so many more tools at your disposal you won't necessarily see as many people throwing hooks to the body as you would in boxing. In the clinch you'll see more knees to the body. On the ground, usually you'll see more punches to the body. Depending on the position he's in the guy on top could either rip at the body with punches or slam elbows and knees in there. You'll see a lot of kicks to the body, but sometimes when faced up against a strong wrestler, there's a big risk of getting taken down, so people will resort more to leg kicks than body kicks.

Comment

Not against the rules at all.

There are guys that work the body in MMA but they are few and far in between. Against the cage they have the option to do it with punches as well as knees.

But often a guy up against the cage who tries to knee to the body runs the risk of getting his leg grabbed and dragged to the ground.

So a lot of fighters do work on it, however against the cage, the first thing that should be done is to look to get control (double underhooks) so they have better control. Then they can start throwing shots.

Working the body is very rare to see in MMA and is such an effective tool at setting up shots the the head. I wish more fighters did it

Comment

Originally posted by Kakutogi-Gumi View Post
            Knees are body work.

Obviously, I should have made it more clear that I was talking about body shots with the hands or elbows.

Originally posted by monaroCountry View Post
            Looking at the Lesnar v Cain fight is not the best example of good MMA. There are many fighters especially those with K-1 background or experienced in the game who mixes up their shots and/or choose their shots allot better.
            I saw a lack of body work in all of the fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
              You'll see a lot of strike to the body in MMA, but because of the fact that you have so many more tools at your disposal you won't necessarily see as many people throwing hooks to the body as you would in boxing. In the clinch you'll see more knees to the body. On the ground, usually you'll see more punches to the body. Depending on the position he's in the guy on top could either rip at the body with punches or slam elbows and knees in there. You'll see a lot of kicks to the body, but sometimes when faced up against a strong wrestler, there's a big risk of getting taken down, so people will resort more to leg kicks than body kicks.

Appreciated. I just didn't see a whole lot of body work at all last night.

Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
              Not against the rules at all.

There are guys that work the body in MMA but they are few and far in between. Against the cage they have the option to do it with punches as well as knees.

But often a guy up against the cage who tries to knee to the body runs the risk of getting his leg grabbed and dragged to the ground.

So a lot of fighters do work on it, however against the cage, the first thing that should be done is to look to get control (double underhooks) so they have better control. Then they can start throwing shots.

Working the body is very rare to see in MMA and is such an effective tool at setting up shots the the head. I wish more fighters did it
              Yea, I was sure it wasn't against the rules, I just noticed a huge lack of good body work when many opportunities are there.

I think you see what I see. It seems like in some instances, depending on the positioning of the fighters, there would be better leverage on a good, solid body shot, than a half assed attempt at going for the head. I guess in the heat of the battle though, well, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Chingas View Post
                Now I enjoy a great MMA fight just as much as a great boxing match but I'm not too keen on all of its rulings, or strategies. One thing I've noticed throughout the years, and especially last night is,

where is the body work? There were multiple instances, whether the fight was on the ground, or up against the fence, where the two combatants were tied up angling for position, and an entire side of the body (rib area) was left wide open and it would never get worked on. Guys would just try and go for the head no matter what. I would think that a nice, solid blow to the rib area would weaken an opponent to make him lose his grip on an arm or whatever he was tying up.

Is it against the rules to hit when tied up like that, or do they just not focus on it?
                body work is certainly allowed in MMA. every fighter does different things, but there are plenty of guys who are gunning for a good kick to the ribs or something downstairs. leg kicks seem much more common. but, just like in boxing, many fighters are head hunters and don't take advantage of the openings a fighter presents in the body. however they may not be going for the body shot for reasons that you or me can't really see by watching, or aren't experienced enough to see. maybe he feels if he goes for an open body shot he will get caught by something specific in return. could really be multiple different reasons why a guy isn't going to the body.

Comment

It happens all the time, just not last night except when Cain knee'd Lesnar to the body when he was down. But Kampman could of done to weaken Shields even more but in MMA it's much more complicated then boxing because you have a lot more things to worry about. Like You try and throw a knee to the body you can get it caught and taken down where you don't wanna be.

Comment

When they're clinched up it's likely that the guy who can work on the body is trying to take the other guy down. They're battling for the underhooks. You don't want to go for a body punch and let your opponent get the underhook and bring you to the ground.

Still, most of them use knees because it hurts much much much more and you can land them without neglecting the "hook-battle".

Comment

Working...
                    X