Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo Alvarez Still Overrated if He Defeats Austin Trout or Sergio Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know when there was some talk about Chavez Jr vs Canelo..I was like wow that would be great..and I thought Canelo would win..but now to be honest if Canelo had the balls to step into the ring againts Chavez JR, I tell you Chavez Jr will rock his world man. I thought they were both hype jobs..but Jr went out and fought Martinez..I respect that..Canelo still hasnt fought a top 154 pounder..

Comment

some of the hype would be justified at the least depending on how he looks

Comment

yeah, if he can get past Martinez and Trout (or even friggin Cotto), id give him props.. But as of now, he's overrated as hell.

His popularity is capitalizing on inherent Mexican pride.

Comment

Beating Martinez @160 would earn him all the hype that he's received. Beating Trout would be a good start.

Comment

If Canelo beat Martinez, it would be huge, Canelo would definitely get all the props on the planet. If he beats Trout or Cotto, not as big as beating Martinez but gets props none the less. Heck, I'd just be happy with him fighting a legit light middle.

Comment

Those two names are a big if! He will definitely gain respect for beating any legit 154lbs fither at this point!

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs
                yah he gets props for trying to get a fight with paul williams...BUT why did kirkland have to go through another wbc title eliminator after demolishing angulo? and after the molina fight kirkland suffered a shoulder injury, which was reported and known, and what a coincidence that canelo camp NOW wanted to fight kirkland after it was known he had a shoulder injury and wouldn't be able to fight until october, but team canelo wanted the fight in september. also why did he pick on josesito lopez rather than looking at someone in his own division? for example erislandy lara was available to fight canelo after ortiz lost to josesito..so why not a top jr middleweight instead of a junior welterweight/small welterweight? and now he's trying to get a fight with mayweather when he hasn't even proven himself against top competition first...
                canelo certainly is a phenom in his own right, i mean no ones that good at just 22 years of age but he needs to at least defeat trout or another top 154 pounder before he even thinks of fighting mayweather. throw him in with legit opposition and we'll see if he's really that good. everybody wants the mayweather fight, who would want a big pay check win or lose.

Comment

I really believe he has the tools to be great just want to see him fight somebody worth a damn.

Comment

I don't think Canelo is nearly ready for Mayweather. He has trouble with crafty fighters, and he would have no size advantage against Floyd. Canelo needs to develop more speed and learn a bit more about cutting off the ring. I think he's at least a year away from beating a top flight contender.

Comment

Of course not.

A win over either of these trumps his entire career.

Comment

Working...
                      X