Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chad Dawson, Come on Down (The Scale That Is)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chad Dawson, Come on Down (The Scale That Is)

By Cliff Rold - There are plenty of guys with belts in boxing. There are only a handful of fighters who stand out as the legitimate World Champions of their class. Two of them, World Super Middleweight (168 lbs.) Champion Andre Ward and World Light Heavyweight Champion (175 lbs.) Chad Dawson, will lock horns this Saturday night at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

In terms of the scale, this isn’t anything fans aren’t used to. In an era where pound-for-pound gets more run than it merits, and fighters pack careers into lower volumes of significant fights, there is almost an expectation that fighters will move up the scale in search of new challenges. After Andre Ward finished his run in the Super Six Super Middleweight tournament, winning two alphabet straps and reestablishing the lineage of his division left vacant by Joe Calzaghe, one could assume the clock was ticking.

So, it is no surprise that Ward will be moving up to…

…wait…

…scratch that.

That’s now what’s happening.

The title on the line this weekend does not belong to the bigger man. When he laid down the gauntlet to Ward, Dawson said he’d be willing to come down the scale. Ward liked those terms. After some early speculation that both men would put their titles on the line, we instead have the man from the larger class challenging the smaller for his crown. [Click Here To Read More]

Hope Chad wins solely for Ward being a diva.

Comment

And that's why Mundine's quest for Mayweather is so historical

Comment

Great article Cliff. Nice to read Chad's attempted feat put into an historical perspective. Well researched.

And yes. Should Dawson prevail he is pretty much in the HOF.

Comment

I fear for Chad on this. I actually would have preferred this was at a catchweight of 170 or 172 for Chad's title. If Ward wins and Dawson comes out looking like De La Hoya did against Pacman, we'll be cheated cause Ward dried him out in negotiations.

Hoping for a good fight, that's for sure. Dawson came out looking good in the last couple fights against B-Hop. Very fast and very disciplined. I think he'll have the edge in hand speed over Ward. I dunno. Ward is just awkward. Dawson is hard to hit though. If Ward comes out as the pressure fighter and takes it inside, he has a chance. If the fight stays outside, I give Dawson the edge with the quick jab and the reach advantage. He was able to escape the cagey B-hop who lunged in with every punch and leading with his head. I think that sets him up great for Ward!

I think Dawson will respect Ward too much and may be a little drained costing him some later rounds and potentially getting caught with something. But I give it to Dawson in an either 9-3 or 8-4 round victory.

Both guys are great men and ambassadors for the sport. I wish both could win!

BTW, if Dawson wins, does he avenge the Pascal defeat? Or call out Carl Froch at a catchweight or light heavy? Either way, I like where this is going!
          Last edited by speedgsx98; 09-05-2012, 02:03 AM.

Comment

goo old Ward

The son of god drains Dawson of 8 lbs muscle. Come on, this is what hurts boxing. Fight should of been at 171 lbs. Dawson is coming to the end of his career and probably ineeds the payday.

Comment

Don't BLAME Ward for Chad Dawson SAYING he would drop down to 168lbs and fight!! WHAT Dawson should've FIRST SAID was for my 175lb TITLE or a CATCHWEIGHT!! But NO Bad Chad goes on as says "I'll fight Ward at 168lbs, I have no problem dropping down"; SO DON'T BLAME Ward!!

Comment

Great read Cliff.

Comment

Originally posted by rjack58 View Post
                  Don't BLAME Ward for Chad Dawson SAYING he would drop down to 168lbs and fight!! WHAT Dawson should've FIRST SAID was for my 175lb TITLE or a CATCHWEIGHT!! But NO Bad Chad goes on as says "I'll fight Ward at 168lbs, I have no problem dropping down"; SO DON'T BLAME Ward!!
                  The interviewer put the words in his mouth. Chad's adrenaline was high after the win over Hopkins and with the public watching, he couldn't say "no, I want him to fight me at 175".

Comment

Originally posted by speedgsx98 View Post
                    BTW, if Dawson wins, does he avenge the Pascal defeat? Or call out Carl Froch at a catchweight or light heavy? Either way, I like where this is going!
                    I would rematch Pascal and avenge the loss IN CANADA, then move on to Froch IN ENGLAND.

Originally posted by Uncle Rodge View Post
                    Great read Cliff.
                    Second.

Also, Henry Armstrong was one bad mf'r.

Comment

Working...
                    X