Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins: Better After 40?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Bernard Hopkins: Better After 40?

by Cliff Rold - It’s hard not watch Bernard Hopkins with a little bit of awe.

In the 1990s, Roberto Duran challenged William Joppy for Middleweight belt at the age of 47. It was a disgusting spectacle, Duran stopped in three. Evander Holyfield has been beaten multiple times past the age of 40, for titles and not, against Heavyweights who likely couldn’t have laced his shoes in his prime.

That’s the way it usually goes. A fighter ages, elects to keep fighting, and adds losses to their record that no one thinks the ‘real’ them would ever have had.

Every once in a while, a fighter hangs around and keeps winning. Hopkins has hung around and then some, winning titles at Light Heavyweight three times including a lineal championship win over Jean Pascal in 2011 to become the oldest legitimate world champion in boxing history.

There’s been much to celebrate about Hopkins run at Light Heavyweight and plenty to ponder about how much it elevates him in the pantheon of the greats. One question that doesn’t seem to come up much is this:

Has Bernard Hopkins faced tougher competition after 40 years of age than he did before?

The question is not to be confused with whether he was a better fighter after 40. Watching today’s Hopkins, in contrast to the fighter he was at Middleweight against Felix Trinidad, reveals some of the subtle adjustments age brings to bear. He’s not as offensive now, nor as quick. [Click Here To Read More]

No he isn't.

It's his opponent selection and mystique of being 48 years old that gives the facade that he is.

Comment

No.

I'm amazed as much as the next man as far as him holding a world title at 48.

But...

No.

All the tricks of the trade he knows, he had back in his 30's, during his middleweight reign.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
        No.

But...

No.

All the tricks of the trade he knows, he had back in his 30's, during his middleweight reign.
        Yup.

His domination of Trinidad, from a technical standpoint, was far more impressive than what he has done against Pascal and Cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
          No.

But...

No.

This is why I say he's freaking underrated, he started slipping after the Joppy fight in my opinion. People forget that he was once a seek and destroy type of fighter, a very exciting fighter to watch, jus' fan friendly.

Comment

No, but he is even more experienced and more intelligent than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
              This is why I say he's freaking underrated, he started slipping after the Joppy fight in my opinion. People forget that he was once a seek and destroy type of fighter, a very exciting fighter to watch, jus' fan friendly.
              Well see, that's the thing.

The man is 48.

He brings a whole new meaning to the saying "work smarter, not harder."

I live that. Trust me, I'm getting old myself.

What my point is, B-Hop wasn't some neophyte back in his 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                No, but he is even more experienced and more intelligent than before.
                On the money.

Comment

A case can be made that his best wins have come over 40. Tarver, Winky, Pavlik, Pascal and Cloud not to mention the win over Jones which must have been a satisfying one for him after years of chasing.

His style has evolved from a pressure fighter to the complete opposite. Learnt the game inside out and now is reaping the rewards getting respect from the fans. His prime IMO was when the night he destroyed Trinidad, everything worked and fell into place that night, speed, timing, movement and power.

Never been stopped in over 20 years at the top and IMO the only clear defeat he had was Roy Jones in 93 which he avenged. I dont think he lost either of the Taylor fights. The Calzaghe and Dawsons fights were close and I think Hopkins was just edged in those fights by the younger men. But he has fought the best they have to offer and deserves high praise as one of the best if not the best of the modern era.

Comment

Originally posted by G22 View Post
                    A case can be made that his best wins have come over 40. Tarver, Winky, Pavlik, Pascal and Cloud not to mention the win over Jones which must have been a satisfying one for him after years of chasing.

His style has evolved from a pressure fighter to the complete opposite. Learnt the game inside out and now is reaping the rewards getting respect from the fans. His prime IMO was when the night he destroyed Trinidad, everything worked and fell into place that night, speed, timing, movement and power.

Never been stopped in over 20 years at the top and IMO the only clear defeat he had was Roy Jones in 93 which he avenged. I dont think he lost either of the Taylor fights. The Calzaghe and Dawsons fights were close and I think Hopkins was just edged in those fights by the younger men. But he has fought the best they have to offer and deserves high praise as one of the best if not the best of the modern era.
                    I think that is fair.

Comment

Working...
                    X