Koki Kameda to Move up to Super Flyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koki Kameda to Move up to Super Flyweight

Kyodo News

Koki Kameda is prepared to fight in the super flyweight division after capturing the WBA light flyweight and WBC flyweight titles between 2006 and 2009.

Kameda brothers set for July bouts

OSAKA (Kyodo) WBA flyweight champion Daiki Kameda and older brother Koki Kameda will face opponents, who have not yet been named, in non-title bouts on July 25 at Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium, boxing sources said Friday.

Daiki's fight will be a warmup for a mandatory title bout against former WBA flyweight champion Takefumi Sakata. The date and venue for his mandatory match have not yet been determined.

Koki will return to the ring for the first time since losing his WBC flyweight belt to then-interim champion Pongsaklek Wonjogkam of Thailand on March 27.

The often-controversial Kameda family suffered yet another blow in April when the Japan Boxing Commission banned their father and coach Shiro for life from activities related to pro boxing after he verbally abused WBC officials following Koki's failed attempt to unify the title against Pongsaklek.

The JBC also ordered the Kameda Boxing Gym to suspend operations indefinitely, but later allowed it to resume under new head Shinji Yoshii, so that the brothers could continue their boxing careers.

Should rematch Wonjongkam

Comment

Punishment was kind of harsh no??

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
        I still haven't watched it

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
          I agree. I think a rematch would not only be entertaining and competitive like their last fight but could benefit both guys careers alot. It also seems like the most possible quality fight in that division because of the Japan-Thai connection and relativley close proximity.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
            Punishment was kind of harsh no??
            Not his first offense, the Father for the Kameda's is a bit of a douchebag anyway

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
              Not his first offense, the Father for the Kameda's is a bit of a douchebag anyway
              Yea, that scene in the corner during the Daiki-Naito fight seemed to tell it all. They basically told him to foul and elbow to get back into the fight (Koki was caught red handed, dunno about Dad.) Because of this its hard to muster up sympathy even for a harsh sentence.

Comment

Well....he has been getting up to 130 in between fights and had to lose a decent amount of weight the week leading up to the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
                  Well....he has been getting up to 130 in between fights and had to lose a decent amount of weight the week leadi0ng up to the fight.
                  Yea I think the days of him bringing fried chicken to weigh ins and taunting his opponents with it may be over (at least in the Flyweight Division). Imagine if he fought Darchinyan. That fight would need some sort of 24/7 series. The lead up would be must see TV. The fight wouldn't be bad either.

Off topic, but I'm totally bummed about Arjen Robben's injury I was gonna pick Dutch in WC pool. aaaaaaaaaahh...

Comment

Originally posted by Battling Siki View Post
                    Yea I think the days of him bringing fried chicken to weigh ins and taunting his opponents with it may be over (at least in the Flyweight Division). Imagine if he fought Darchinyan. That fight would need some sort of 24/7 series. The lead up would be must see TV. The fight wouldn't be bad either.

Off topic, but I'm totally bummed about Arjen Robben's injury I was gonna pick Dutch in WC pool. aaaaaaaaaahh...
                    Yup, they sure are. I'm not sure he'd get to fight Vic, seems like Vic is going to stay at BW.

I have to apologize to him. I put him in my av and changed my name to Arjen....I think I jinxed him!

Comment

Working...
                    X