No announcement yet.

Couture is age 47 and is a shot fighter; Toney the younger man will win tonight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunthunder View Post
    I think Toney has a better shot than the majority give him, if only because the UFC is to an extent playing with fire by putting him in against Couture, a fighter who looks older and more fragile in each outing. Couture should win, the logic is sound, a fair few boxers have gone to MMA and with the exception of Mercer-Sylvia, they've lost. However I can't shake this feeling Toney will land something as Couture moves in, Randy doesn't have the best double leg in the best double leg in the world. There's a lot of MMA fighters I'd pick to beat Toney, I think most top level welterweights would beat him, but there's a definite risk factor with Couture.
    good analysis. the biggest factor is Couture is simply SLOW. His attempts to take down Toney will result in him HAVING to take a few shots or at least attempt blocking them. He will have to walk through fire first to get to Toney. If he can do that then he can manage a submission but for that brief interval of time Toney wil have a huge chance to KTFO this bum who even Liddel I believe knocked out with weak arm punch jab.

Comment

What do people mean when they say 'double leg'. Is that a takedown?

Comment

Originally posted by ballgamessuck View Post
        Saying Couture is over the hill because he lost to Lesnar and Nogueira is like saying the Indianopolis Colts suck a$$ because they lost to the Saints.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
          I think it's basically when you grab both of somenoe's legs and lift them in order to make the guy fall and take him down. One of the trademark moves to take someone down in mma

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
            It's a takedown from range where you shoot low under your opponents hands and take their legs out from under them. It's a great weapon to have in MMA. Randy is primarily a greco-roman wrestler which is largely throws from the clinch, which of course requires Randy to close the distance. He's shown some good double legs before, but it's not as prevalent a part of his game as a fighter like Brock Lesnar.

Put it this way, if I was an MMA fighter facing a boxer, I'd rather have a really powerful double leg than be great in the clinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter
              Yes.

Couture is vulnerable at the stand-up fight, while Toney will be at a disadvantage on the ground even though he weighs more.

Toney needs to come forward and be aggressive with his punches to win.
              and remember Toney could be on steroids again so his 'physique' may belie his actual strength.

Fight Science recorded Toney as having 1300lbs++ of punching power whereas Couture recorded with measly 1000lbs. This is evidence to me that Toney is much stronger, either that or simply has much better punching technique

Comment

Originally posted by etlux View Post
                and remember Toney could be on steroids again so his 'physique' may belie his actual strength.

Fight Science recorded Toney as having 1300lbs++ of punching power whereas Couture recorded with measly 1000lbs. This is evidence to me that Toney is much stronger, either that or simply has much better punching technique
                That's all well and good, but the clinch and fighting on the ground is reliant on technique over strength. By a considerable amount.

Comment

Originally posted by etlux View Post
                  I think it's basically when you grab both of somenoe's legs and lift them in order to make the guy fall and take him down. One of the trademark moves to take someone down in mma
                  Originally posted by sunthunder View Post
                  It's a takedown from range where you shoot low under your opponents hands and take their legs out from under them. It's a great weapon to have in MMA. Randy is primarily a greco-roman wrestler which is largely throws from the clinch, which of course requires Randy to close the distance. He's shown some good double legs before, but it's not as prevalent a part of his game as a fighter like Brock Lesnar.

Put it this way, if I was an MMA fighter facing a boxer, I'd rather have a really powerful double leg than be great in the clinch.
                  Thanks guys, I get it now. So hopefully if he goes for the takedown he'll fail and get an uppercut Land flat on his ass and then get 237lb bodyslamming his ass.

Good luck, Mr Toney...

Comment

Does anyone have a banana? Points, karma, etc. will be given...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                      Does anyone have a banana? Points, karma, etc. will be given...
                      You're a bad man. Bananas give you too much potassium. Eat too much you get sued.

Comment

Working...
                      X