No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words” —Schadenfreude as 50 Cent Struggles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words” —Schadenfreude as 50 Cent Struggles

by David P. Greisman - A penny for 50 Cent’s thoughts would be priceless.

This was not the way he thought his entry into the world of boxing promoting would begin. Some predicted that the rapper would be making a power play in the Sweet Science. Instead there have been misunderstandings and missteps, stumbles and setbacks.

Last summer seems as if it was eons ago. Back then, it was thought that the performer otherwise known as Curtis Jackson would be pairing up with his good friend, boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather, to form an outfit called TMT Promotions. Jackson had received his promoter’s license in New York and had applied for one in Nevada (which he has since received). Mayweather was set to be released from a stint in jail. “The Money Team” was already recruiting.

For many fans and observers, speculation won out over waiting for specifics.

Mayweather and 50 Cent at some point had a falling out, their strained personal relationship putting aside any hope of a successful business relationship. Mayweather remains affiliated with Golden Boy Promotions. So, too, do many of powerbroker adviser Al Haymon’s other clients, who didn’t opt to leave one of the United States’ biggest boxing promoters in favor of an unproven company.

Instead, Jackson is at the helm of SMS Promotions, which is coincidentally only one letter away from “TMT” but is actually named after his “SMS Audio” headphones company. [Click Here To Read More]

"The Lion Slept Tonight"

That would have been perfect

Comment

50cent had a fighter on the undercard of last years most talked about fight and somehow he's losing? I can think of at least 4 other top promoters in the sport who would sell out their mama to have had a fighter on that undercard. Do you know how many people saw 50's and his fighters name on each article regarding Pacquaio's loss? For his first year as a promoter he's started out better than most i'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
        50cent had a fighter on the undercard of last years most talked about fight and somehow he's losing? I can think of at least 4 other top promoters in the sport who would sell out their mama to have had a fighter on that undercard. Do you know how many people saw 50's and his fighters name on each article regarding Pacquaio's loss? For his first year as a promoter he's started out better than most i'd say.
        Go away 50! You will ruin all of your fighters career! You dont know anything about boxing, nor the fighters you signed! You first learned about them at Floyd's gym! You dont know any of their weaknesses, and their kryptonite. Anyone who knows boxing, wouldnt have put Dib in the ring with a pressure fighter with a chin, because all they will do is hold and have a horrible fight. And he defended his title against the guy too? Idiot. You will be surprised when you see all of your other fighter's weaknesses. You know nothing about them, and your a casual overnight fan! Having an am record doesnt mean that you spent your life watching every single fight that came on tv. You just started watching it foreal foreal, recently.

Comment

To really make it in boxing promotion you have to be associated with one of the very top income guys, if you don't have a guy you can put on a card with and for sure make money it is an uphill battle.

50 has some decent fighters but even Dirrell and Gamboa are not exactly money makers.

It is a hard business, and it takes a lot of luck to get associated with the right fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
            Go away 50! You will ruin all of your fighters career! You dont know anything about boxing, nor the fighters you signed! You first learned about them at Floyd's gym! You dont know any of their weaknesses, and their kryptonite. Anyone who knows boxing, wouldnt have put Dib in the ring with a pressure fighter with a chin, because all they will do is hold and have a horrible fight. And he defended his title against the guy too? Idiot. You will be surprised when you see all of your other fighter's weaknesses. You know nothing about them, and your a casual overnight fan! Having an am record doesnt mean that you spent your life watching every single fight that came on tv. You just started watching it foreal foreal, recently.
            I'm actually scratching my head because does this cat really think he was responding to 50cent? Might be time to put away the steel reserve's cuz..damn.

Comment

I'm actually scratching my head because does this cat really think he was responding to 50cent? Might be time to put away the steel reserve's cuz..damn.
              Hell yea I think Im responding to you 50! Lets say Im wrong. Its okay. As long as Im comfortable feeling the way "I" want to feel! Okay fif?

Comment

Umm.. 50 cent had to buy out Gamboa's contract from Top Rank for $1.2million.

Gamboa then ends up appearing on a Top Rank undercard anyway, meanwhile Bob Arum is laughing all the way to the bank.

Not really "winning".

Comment

I actually like 50 Cent as a promoter. He's cheesy as fuck but he's a good personality.

Comment

he brought 3 fighters out of inactivity (counting caballero whose fight is in april) and with gamboa and dirrell he has fighters that could together easily carry their own showtime/hbo event.

when it's all said and done he is 3-1 as a promoter - i think he is doing pretty alright.
                    Last edited by -vincenzo-; 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X