No announcement yet.

Johnny Tapia vs Paulie Ayala I: One of the most skillful slugfests ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Tapia vs Paulie Ayala I: One of the most skillful slugfests ever

Man, I just got through watching that fight for the first time in a while and I cant think of many fights that match the intensity and skill level in this fight. Both are well school, but stylistically there were different.

Tapia was a first a speed demon boxer puncher and turned into a slick counterpuncher. Ayala was a good all arounder with good hand speed great physical strength chin and stamina not to mention a southpaw. I always go back and forth who I thought won but man this was a truely great fight.

Definitely one of my favorite fights.

Comment

last time I scored it for Tapia by 2 rounds....he won the last 3 rounds in my eyes and the fight was virtually even up til round 10.

Man, Tapia showed how great he was in this fight even though he didnt get the decision

Comment

I saw both fights and have always been convinced that Tapia won both fights fairly comfortably. He wasn't quite "robbed" but Ayala got two undeserved wins. Ayala also got a very undeserved win against Hugo Dianza and one against Bones Adams, which should at very least have been a draw. There was analyst talk about him having "inside" influence. I saw all the fights and I believe that Ayala lost each one.

Until then I rather liked him, and thought that although not that good, he tried hard.

Dianza was really robbed, it caused a big outcry.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
          I saw both fights and have always been convinced that Tapia won both fights fairly comfortably. He wasn't quite "robbed" but Ayala got two undeserved wins. Ayala also got a very undeserved win against Hugo Dianza and one against Bones Adams, which should at very least have been a draw. There was analyst talk about him having "inside" influence. I saw all the fights and I believe that Ayala lost each one.

Until then I rather liked him, and thought that although not that good, he tried hard.

Dianza was really robbed, it caused a big outcry.
          He had to be good to go tooth and nail with a fighter like Tapia...since he didnt have alot of power and wasnt slick alot of his big fights were decision affairs...Havent watched the second fight in a while but he for sure lost against Diaza.....who was his promoter

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
            He had to be good to go tooth and nail with a fighter like Tapia...since he didnt have alot of power and wasnt slick alot of his big fights were decision affairs...Havent watched the second fight in a while but he for sure lost against Diaza.....who was his priomoter
            it wasn't that he was good, he was durable, could take a good punch and comeback for more. Bu he didn;t have the skills of the others and was constantly beaten to the punch.
            I actually liked to see his fights untol those bad decisions and the Dianza one turned me away from him for good.

Poor Hugo put everything into that fight tried so hard, and everyone was sure he's walked it. When he didn't get the decision, he was heartbroken and the spirit was taken out of him right there. He was never anything like the same ever again, and I lost all respect for Ayala right there.

Comment

Working...
            X