No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Broner Bit Off More Than He Could Chew

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Broner Bit Off More Than He Could Chew

by David P. Greisman - The downfall of the tragic hero is inevitable. It is brought about by hubris and by decisions gone awry. It must end badly for the tragic hero. Though he will ultimate recognize the error of his ways, that moment will come too late.

Perhaps this ending for Adrien Broner was foreseeable.

This ending was an evening in which he left the ring before he could by confronted about the errors of his ways, about the decisions and actions that had brought him defeat. He departed between the ropes, down the steps and past a hostile crowd, which made him the target of beer cups that he could not dodge as well as he was dodging questions.

There would be no post-fight interview with Broner immediately after his first pro loss. It would wait until he had returned to his dressing room, been examined by a physician, and collected his thoughts. It was fitting for a man whose responses often sounded canned, whose lines seemed rehearsed so that they could be repeated.

But those who wanted catharsis from Adrien Broner following his loss to Marcos Maidana would be disappointed. There would be no post-mortem, no dissection of what went wrong, no admission of failings. [Click Here To Read More]

This is a horrendous piece of writing, do you have an editor?

Comment

Um I thought maidana beat morales ......

Comment

David P. Greisman - "The downfall of the tragic hero is inevitable. It is brought about by hubris..."

Broner, "tragic hero"???... Hubris (ὕβρις)?
        No way... Gimme' a break...
        ... "Easy money, baby... easy money..."
        Not even tragicomic... Just pathetic...

Comment

"Man's own worst enemy is his ego" and Broner learned that lesson the hard way. The way folks were in here talking about Maidana is soft in the body and he'll lose because of that...well guess where these "Legit boxing fans"are right now? Nowhere to be found...It amazes me sometime how people on here sit around calling boxers with more achievements hypejobs but claiming this kid was not one himself..well there went that whole shhh.

Adonis deserves boxer of the year..hands down..either him or Provodnikov..these are guys very few people supported at all in 2012. It's time to start handing these awards to some fresh blood. Bradley is a third close but simply because of how Provodnikov almost took him out and then the Alvarado fight I put him ahead.

Comment

The downfall of the tragic hero? An overrated punk that makes videos of himself flushing money or having sex with hookers, that's a hero? It should be rephrased as the "quiet hero triumphantly defeats the ugly ogre and sends him back to the stinky swamp where he truly belongs. During the ogre's embarrassing march to the swamp, the jubilant villagers pelted him with rocks, tomatoes and whatever rubbish they could find."
            Last edited by Dat; 12-16-2013, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I actually think Broners got a pretty good chin. He took some absolute bombs in there. Going 12 rounds with Marcos is an achievement in itself

Comment

The reason I made so much money off of this fight is because casual boxing fans don't know ****. Broner had no footwork, an untested chin, one dimensional thought process & suspect power in the 147 weight class.

They argued me down at every turn until I just shut up & said put your money where your mouth is; now the casuals will hide, regroup and return as FMJ fans or another hype job like Broner. Don't get me wrong, he's a good fighter; just not a great one.

Comment

Broner doesn't desserve credit for surviving the 12 rounds because in a clean fight and without the help of the ref he would have been knocked out by Maidana. The reason he did survive the 12 rounds is due to the dirty and illegal tactics he used and because of the help the ref gave him by allowing it to happen. Credit shouldn't be taken away from Maidana either by saying that he had to fight a certain way otherwise he could have been outboxed by Broner because that's not true either. Maidana boxed with Broner and got the better of him in outside exchanges too so the credit is due to Maidana in that department also. Laurence Cole is one of the worse refs I've ever seen and should never be allowed to officiate another fight ever again.

Comment

It was a evening where Broners big mouth got him into a beating him nor his big mouth (even bigger now due to some inflammatory caused by Maidanaitis)
                    could handle. The 3 time champ visited the canvas 2 times in 1 fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X