Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Jack Dempsey is overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Jack Dempsey is overrated?

well? do you belive dempsey is overrated? bert sugar ranked him the 9th best fighter of all time. how do you rank him? and do you belive he's overrated?

Ranking him one of the top 10 greatest of all time is overrating him.

As I've stated previously, there has never been another heavyweight champion who did not fight his obvious number 1 contender for as long as Dempsey. After winning the championship, he became more interested in being a celebrity and an actor than defending his title against the very best, which were Harry Wills and also the much smaller Harry Greb.

I do recognize his ability and the several impressive wins he had before winning the title and right after it. Defending the title just 5 times 7 years takes away from it though.

Comment

massively overrated by boxing historians - he was still good though, just not anywhere near the top 10. I think even Rocky would have beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        massively overrated by boxing historians - he was still good though, just not anywhere near the top 10. I think even Rocky would have beat him.
        Maybe.

I do think that Dempsey was very talented though. It's actually his numerous filmed sparring sessions that I'm most impressed by, more so than his actual fights (especially the wild brawl with Firpo).

For a man who could move his head and use his feet like that, he sure didn't seem to utilize those skills to the full extent.

Watch from 6:40 onwards:

Comment

yes he is more known for his popularity than his actual fighting skills...not to say he was a bad fighter just not top 10.....bert sugar probly saw him live thats why he likes him so much....

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
            yes he is more known for his popularity than his actual fighting skills...not to say he was a bad fighter just not top 10.....bert sugar probly saw him live thats why he likes him so much....
            Sugar isn't that old. He isn't old enough to have seen Louis live, atleast a prime Louis.

I think he quite simply overrates Dempsey, perhaps due to his popularity. When it comes down to it, Dempsey's resume is no better than Harry Wills', in fact it's probably worse. Most don't rate Wills as top 50, Sugar has him at #82.

Comment

I think he is. I recognize and respect the fact that he had a more modern style and did a lot for the sport, but in terms of actual work done as a fighter (particularly his reign as champ), he doesn't belong nearly as high as I've often seen him get ranked.

Comment

Yeah, but you consider anyone that the boxing historians like is over-rated.....that and anyone who fought before 1960

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Yeah, but you consider anyone that the boxing historians like is over-rated.....that and anyone who fought before 1960

Poet
                  I was only exaggerating it because I see him hit lists sometimes as high as no.2

On a flat plane he floats around perhaps mid 20's.

Comment

I was only exaggerating it because I see him hit lists sometimes as high as no.2

On a flat plane he floats around perhaps mid 20's.
                    I actually have him ranked #4 on my Heavyweight ATG list.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X