Collapse
No announcement yet.

All this P.E.D stuff is making me question the history of the sport

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I do not think steroids became a major problem in the sport until probably the 1980s, possibly earlier, is because the training methods were largely "old school" and new methods usually haven't been integrated to the sport too quickly. Even in the 1970s, the likes of Foreman and Frazier were doing their training in the woods chopping trees with axes.

I have a hard time imagining trainers like Ray Arcel, George Benton and Eddie Futch injecting their fighters with needles when they didn't even stand for weight-lifting.

By the 1990's, steroid use became rather regular in the heavyweight division atleast.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

PEDs have always been rampant in sports, don't let anyone fool you

Steroids have always been abused from creation, yes even in boxing as well as things like amphetamines.

Hell even cocaine gives you a better sense of perception

Idk why the focus is on "steroids" only when discussing peds

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        PEDs have always been rampant in sports, don't let anyone fool you

Steroids have always been abused from creation, yes even in boxing as well as things like amphetamines.

Hell even cocaine gives you a better sense of perception

Idk why the focus is on "steroids" only when discussing peds
        Probably because cocaine and amphetamines hurt you in the ring as much as they help you. They aren't any sort of panacea that gives you any real edge over an opponent.

PEDs = Performance Enhancing Drugs. If they aren't giving you a tangible edge then they aren't, by definition, PEDs.

Poet

Comment

How exactly doesnt speed give you an advantage?

Comment

Because it's been basically proven that in MLB, PED's were first introduced in the Late 70's, and didn't get big until the 80's.

Ali was not on PED's, that's ridiculous. Ali faded so fast after 1975 it wasnt even funny, so what did he do in the late 70's, when PED's were first introduced to sports mostly, to suggest PED's???

Those Russian Weight lifters wer usng PED's in the 60's and 70's, but at least in MLB they were first introduced in the late 70's. I highly doubt that tons of boxers were using in Ali's era. The era immediately after that, it's a whole different story.

Now if we're talking about the guys in the 80's, that's a whole different story. We'll never know who but I'm sure there were lots of fighters that did.
            Last edited by 4Corners; 05-22-2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

How exactly doesnt speed give you an advantage?
              For starters it clouds your thinking: Not something you want happening in a big fight. It also tenses your muscles up: You need those muscles loose to fight. Finally, the come down from speed is brutal. If that happens in a fight you're getting KTFO.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                Because it's been basically proven that in MLB, PED's were first introduced in the Late 70's, and didn't get big until the 80's.

Ali was not on PED's, that's ridiculous. Ali faded so fast after 1975 it wasnt even funny, so what did he do in the late 70's, when PED's were first introduced to sports mostly, to suggest PED's???

Now if we're talking about the guys in the 80's, that's a whole different story. We'll never know who but I'm sure there were lots of fighters that did.
                You mean steroids

But steroids were first Synthesised in tw early 50's I think. So it's fully possible Ali used them from his first fIght

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  i was always thought Willie Pep might be on something

Comment

You mean steroids

But steroids were first Synthesised in tw early 50's I think. So it's fully possible Ali used them from his first fIght
                    This is your answer >>>>>

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    While steroids have been around since the 1930s the problem that you run into is that it wasn't until the late 1980s early 1990s that they were worth a damn for boxing. The crude steroids available before then mad a user muscle bound very quickly which is worthless to a boxer as it kills the reflexes (which are far more important for boxing than muscle). There's a reason why old-school trainers forbade their fighters from lifting weights.

Blood doping wasn't developed until the 1970s and even then it didn't become widespread in sports until the '80s.

I wouldn't consider smelling salts and adrenaline to stop bleeding PEDS.

Comment

You mean steroids

So you think boxers were using before baseball and football players??? Around the time when those Russian weight lifters were well know for using???

If it didn't get "big" in sportsl ike football and baseball until the late 70's/early 80's, I doubt it was bigger in boxing before them. I just highly doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                      X