No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what Curry's beef with Leonard was about

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what Curry's beef with Leonard was about

I remember after the McCory fight. He said he wanted to be like Ray Leonard. Then after the McCallum fight on an ESPN card. He said Leonard wasn't a great person

These are my two favorite 80's fighters. But I was young as hell to know any of it. Plus my career sets don't talk about it

I think there were some rumors that Leonard's manager told Curry's camp to stay at 147 and that Leonard would fight him there. I guess maybe the offer was b.s. and Curry was mad.

Curry was interviewed a couple years back on another boxing site and asked about this. His response was kind of like "no comment, that's the past".
    Last edited by Thread Stealer; 03-13-2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

FB: I’ve heard you were having problems making 147 lbs after you won the title. There’s a rumor floating around that Sugar Ray Leonard or Mike Trainer advised you to remain at welter for the Lloyd Honeyghan fight. Is that true or false?

DC: Well, I really don’t like to go back on certain things. I try to forget how that all played out. I’ll say this; Ray is who he is and whatever, whatever.

FB: So you have no animosity towards Leonard or anybody?

DC: It’s too late now. If I did, it wouldn’t do me any good (laughs). I don’t hold a grudge and I like to turn that type of negative energy into a positive, to get good things out of it.

Comment

Thanks big dogg

Do you have that entire interview with you by any chance?

Comment

Knowing how Leonard was, Cobra probably was offered chump change to accept a fight with SRL. Leonard in those days was exactly as delajoya was recently. Fight by my rules or no fight. Whatever he wanted he got. It's all about money. Has always been and forever will be.

Comment

Didn't he sue Ray Leonard? i seem to recall the preview to the McCallum fight and them saying that he was taking Ray to court because he tried to stop him getting a particular fight, or something like that anyway.

Comment

Just found this, check it out.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...,1153868&hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by gibo View Post
                Knowing how Leonard was, Cobra probably was offered chump change to accept a fight with SRL. Leonard in those days was exactly as delajoya was recently. Fight by my rules or no fight. Whatever he wanted he got. It's all about money. Has always been and forever will be.

You hadn't even heard of Don Curry until this thread was created.

Don't speak about matters that are far too complicated for your puny brain to take in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post

Interesting

Comment

That article is quite vague and very limited. Either way, Curry would have been killed by Hagler.

Comment

Working...
                    X