J'Leon Love vs Gabriel Rosado possible for May 4th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'Leon Love vs Gabriel Rosado possible for May 4th

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...may-4-ppv-card

NEW YORK -- Had a chance to talk with Golden Boy chief executive Richard Schaefer on Friday at the weigh-in for Saturday night’s Tavoris Cloud-Bernard Hopkins light heavyweight title fight at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. He dropped a few solid nuggets:

• Leo Santa Cruz, who recently gave up his bantamweight world title to move up to junior featherweight, likely will appear on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Robert Guerrero fight in one of the bouts featured on the Showtime PPV telecast. He said they’re working on a fight between Santa Cruz (23-0-1, 13 KOs) and faded former champ Rafael Marquez (41-8, 37 KOs). Marquez has been promoted by Zanfer and Top Rank -- the Golden Boy rival -- but Schaefer said Marquez is now a free agent and they are working on the fight.

ESPN.com Boxing on Twitter
    Don't miss any of our wall-to-wall boxing coverage, including live analysis of Saturday's fights. Join »

Also likely to appear on the PPV is J’Leon Love (16-0, 8 KOs), a middleweight prospect from Detroit who is promoted by Mayweather. One name they are discussing as a possible opponent is Gabriel Rosado, a longtime junior middleweight who was stopped on cuts in a January middleweight title bout by Gennady Golovkin.

The May 4 co-feature is already set: featherweight titlist Daniel Ponce De Leon defending against former junior featherweight titlist Abner Mares, who recently vacated his belt.

• The proposed junior welterweight title fight between Lamont Peterson and Lucas Matthysse is still being worked on, but Schaefer said the Peterson team wants the fight in his hometown of Washington, D.C., rather than Atlantic City, N.J., which is where Schaefer planned to bring it. He said Matthysse is reluctant to fight Peterson in his hometown, which is understandable because both of Matthysse’s losses came by split decision in the hometown of his opponents, Zab Judah and Devon Alexander. Schaefer said he is talking to both sides and seemed confident the fight would be finalized.

• Junior welterweight prospect Omar Figueroa (20-0-1, 16 KOs) likely will be in the opener of the Showtime doubleheader on April 20 headlined by the much-anticipated Saul “Canelo” Alvarez-Austin Trout junior middleweight unification fight at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Figueroa is from Weslaco, Texas. He is coming off a 47-second wipeout of Henry Aurad last week in San Antonio, where he has a nice fan following. Figueroa is untested but Schaefer said, “We want him to fight a real opponent on that (April 20) card.”

Good fight. Id put my $ on rosado

Comment

leon gets whupped

Comment

Good fight. Rosado may be a 154 lb fighter but he's tough, and a good step up for Love. Honestly, I was less than impressed with Love his last fight. I think Rosado can beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          Good fight. Rosado may be a 154 lb fighter but he's tough, and a good step up for Love. Honestly, I was less than impressed with Love his last fight. I think Rosado can beat him.
          actually i think every Mayweather promotions fighter does. I dont know what floyd sees in them.

Comment

They need stop shoving J'Leon Love on our faces. He's sucks and he's boring to boot.

I remember reading Gabriel Rosado vs Delvin Rodriguez was being worked on recently. That would be a great fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTrue View Post
              actually i think every Mayweather promotions fighter does. I dont know what floyd sees in them.
              Well you have to start somewhere.

Comment

Seems like rosado has a different opponent every day, I liked the delvin rodriguez fight more

Comment

What happened to Angulo 2?

Comment

Love beats Rosado pretty easily. Hes more built to fight Love rather than some 5' 7" bowling ball like Findley. At 160 he'll probably never fight anybody that short again. I am surprized Love didnt do much shoulder roll in his last fight. I actually think Loves shoulder roll is a little bit better than Broners to be honest. Love has Floyds check hook which Broner doesnt have. Plus Loves got the movement to go with it while Broners is a little more stationary. Which allows him to be hit.

Comment

Working...
                    X