Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd's legacy stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who think Floyd is the G.O.A.T in all honesty, well there opinions are not worth sh.it and as soon as the outrageous claim comes out of there mouths you should disregard anything else they ever say regarding boxing. It makes there opinions null and void to be honest I can't even take people who think he is a top 20 ATG seriously.
    Last edited by -Lowkey-; 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
      I completely understand where your coming from. Yes, Roy depended more on his athleticism, but we cant fault him for that. He was born with those tools. But, you also have to take into consideration, his punching power/speed/reflexes are attributed to his athleticism. Same with Ray Rob and Floyd, but he was just the ultimate at being effective with his athleticism. Sports is mainly about whose the most athletic/explosive/fastest/strongest whatever you want to call it. His defense wasn't the most technical, but he rarely got touched in his prime due to his athleticism, so i consider that the best trait to have.
      Well is not like May is unathletic. May is supremely athletic as well as being ultimately skilled. I would say that RJJ was more explosive and possessed more punching power but May's skills more than make up for the difference. I think that May's skills will prevent him from going down the path that RJJ is currently on even if he decides to fight until he's 40.

Comment

Floyd is good but any fighter of this era can not be compared to old timers for the sole reason that they literally fought everybody like twice and very often.

Comment

anyone who really thinks Floyd is the GOAT should be ignored when they talk boxing

Comment

He's the GOAT

Look at these hoe asses gettin mad

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
              Well is not like May is unathletic. May is supremely athletic as well as being ultimately skilled. I would say that RJJ was more explosive and possessed more punching power but May's skills more than make up for the difference. I think that May's skills will prevent him from going down the path that RJJ is currently on even if he decides to fight until he's 40.
              No doubt Mayweather is blessed with athleticism, but the gap between their athleticsm isnt as small as you'd like to believe. Its not a matter of Floyd had comparable athleticism and much better skills, its a matter of Jones had much more athleticism/speed/power/relfex/timing and had less skills. Floyd's skills are not so god like that it "more than makes up" for the athletic discrepancy.

Edit: Roy jones had natural fighting abilities, he could see punches coming from a mile away and move his head from shots landing due to his athleticism. His foot work was great, and he could time a counter punch perfectly, his fighting style was unbeatable at the time. That's why I use PRIME Roy Jones as an example. His athleticism is what made him great.
              Last edited by timboslice708; 08-04-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Yes, their both slick fighters, but that's where the comparison ends. Ray Robinson was an ultra aggresive slick boxer/puncher. He threw insane combinations to the head and body, had one punch KO power, and had the speed to go along with it.

Edit: also one of the toughest fighters of all time. The dude was insanely durable.
                Watch some Ray Robinson then tell me about him~

Comment

Floyd made great business decisions when he left Arum but legacy-wise it has suffered a bit. Lately Floyd has fought good competition and the Cotto fight proved he is an elite.

However saying he's not the best in any weight holds credence but it can also be said he has also dominated the weightclasses he has fought in.

Comment

Just call it junior LW. It's 130, and I have Alexis Arguello beating Floyd at 130.
                    He makes Arguello look like Genro Hernandez.
                    Floyd......too fast too slick too strong

Comment

He's not the best LW, and he's definitely not the best WW, so when people say he's the greatest, defensive wizard, most accurate puncher, etc. he's still not better than the best of all times.
                      Define better..... To be honest, all of the ATGs were the best of there eras (Just as Floyd is).
                      Jack johnson would lose to Lenox, Ali & Holmes. But that does not mean he wasn't the best of his time.
                      Dempsy would lose to Tyson, Frasier & Foreman. But that does not mean he wasn't oneof the best of his time.

Personally the saying "Best or Greatest of all time" is not possable (All time has not come yet).
                      I think to date, Floyd is the greatest talent boxing has spawned. He's he product of many years and many champs of the past.
                      There will be one to take the torch just as he did.

Comment

Working...
                      X