Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting back into boxing, in need of advice!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into boxing, in need of advice!

Hey, I'm planning on starting boxing again around mid-September after not really doing anything for the last 3 years for one reason or another.

I'm currently weighing around 193 lbs (I'm 6'2), but was hoping to cut down to 175. I have a couple of questions,

Firstly, is it likely that cutting that much weight would be unhealthy for me?

Secondly, what's the best way to go about getting down to that weight? I'm doing jogging, sit ups and press ups at the moment, in September i'll have a gym membership so will be able to do more (Advice on what's best to do would also be appreciated)

Cheers for any help/advice.

its not unhealthy at all my friend! just don't try to lose it as a very fast pace, take it slow and find out the right pace for you other wise yoU're just going to destroy yourself. it depends on your bf% but doing weightlifting and then cardio makes the fat burn ALOT easier what is your bf%?

Comment

you can lose the weight but just be sure that you are setting reasonable goals for the weight lose.

You're going to want to sweat-sweat and sweat some more to lose it. Wear clothes when you train that will insulate your body. Cut out the soda, chips, etc and snack on fruits and vegetables that will give real natural energy.

Stay away from weight loss pills and that kind of garbage.

Bust your ass in the gym and you'll be fine whatever your weight may end up being when you're ready to fight.

DO NOT CUT OUT EATING!!! Just eat sensible things..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
        its not unhealthy at all my friend! just don't try to lose it as a very fast pace, take it slow and find out the right pace for you other wise yoU're just going to destroy yourself. it depends on your bf% but doing weightlifting and then cardio makes the fat burn ALOT easier what is your bf%?
        I'm not certain on it to be honest, there's definitely room for imporvement though I heard that doing cardio after weightlifting burns fat quicker, so I'll have to give it a go!

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        you can lose the weight but just be sure that you are setting reasonable goals for the weight lose.

You're going to want to sweat-sweat and sweat some more to lose it. Wear clothes when you train that will insulate your body. Cut out the soda, chips, etc and snack on fruits and vegetables that will give real natural energy.

Stay away from weight loss pills and that kind of garbage.

Bust your ass in the gym and you'll be fine whatever your weight may end up being when you're ready to fight.

DO NOT CUT OUT EATING!!! Just eat sensible things..........Rockin'
        Cheers Rockin! Definitely planning on cleaning my diet up, that's probably gunna be one of the hardest parts!

Would you say it'd be best to just work my ass off and see what weight I find myself comfortable at then, rather than aiming for a certain weight?

Comment

Originally posted by T-97 View Post
          I'm not certain on it to be honest, there's definitely room for imporvement though I heard that doing cardio after weightlifting burns fat quicker, so I'll have to give it a go!

Cheers Rockin! Definitely planning on cleaning my diet up, that's probably gunna be one of the hardest parts!

Would you say it'd be best to just work my ass off and see what weight I find myself comfortable at then, rather than aiming for a certain weight?

yup, just bust your ass, eat sensibly and go into that ring strong. I know that alot of guys drasticaly cut the weight, weigh in and fight 3 hrs later. It's not enough time to replenish your body as it should be stepping up to fight.

I lost a very important fight to me because of drasticaly cutting weight. The month before I had taken a fight 2 weight classes above the one this guy was in. He had ko'd me in the golden gloves state finals and I wanted to return the favor 3 years later. Losing the weight cost me the fight. I had fought the month before at 154lbs and this fight the guy wouldn't budge over 140. So wanting to redeem myself I excepted the fight, lost and made the weight and incurred a nasty lung infection from draining myself. I had next to nothing once that bell rang. Don't make the same mistake, go in there strong and you'll be fine........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
          X