Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Amir Khan Is A Younger Version Of De La Hoya Stylistally?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscar was dropped early in his career by Valenzuela and Campanella. There were questions early on about his chin.

He took shots better as he moved up in weight. He was very big at the lower divisions, so presumably cutting less weight improved his punch resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      Sweat Pea has a knockdown on Oscar.
      I was thinking Narciso Valenzuela. De La Hoya went on to stop him shortly after. I knew it was against a weak opponent though.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
        Oscar was dropped early in his career by Valenzuela and Campanella. There were questions early on about his chin.

He took shots better as he moved up in weight. He was very big at the lower divisions, so presumably cutting less weight improved his punch resistance.
        Yep, you're right Campanella was the other one. They were both flash knockdowns, he was never really seriously hurt or in trouble though...

Khan on the other hand....

Comment

No Linares' style is closer to young Oscar's.

Comment

He's the closest thing to one, but he's still far from it. Unlike Khan, Oscar knew when to plant his feet, Oscar wasn't nearly as bouncy. He was also a much better counter puncher. Khan can still learn, reach that/ or go beyond that level (I doubt it though). We'll just have to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              this is spot on

people forget what type of fighter Oscar was early on or maybe just too new of a boxing fan to realize how much of a bad ass early Oscar was. The man was a predator aggressively targeting his opponents but with skill and talent. He didn't just look for opportunities he made them on his own

once he moved to 147 it changed a bit. For some reason he wanted to eschew what made him such a stellar fighter, aggressiveness and a jack hammer left hook. That version is more like Khan but early Oscar, say from 140 down where I think he was something like 24-0 21KOs, is more like what Linares is

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                Sometimes I forget about Linares...

Comment

Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post
                  this is spot on

people forget what type of fighter Oscar was early on or maybe just too new of a boxing fan to realize how much of a bad ass early Oscar was. The man was a predator aggressively targeting his opponents but with skill and talent. He didn't just look for opportunities he made them on his own

once he moved to 147 it changed a bit. For some reason he wanted to eschew what made him such a stellar fighter, aggressiveness and a jack hammer left hook. That version is more like Khan but early Oscar, say from 140 down where I think he was something like 24-0 21KOs, is more like what Linares is
                  Sylistically, I can see Linares having similar attributes, but not as close as Khan. Here's why. Khan comes out just as dangerous as a young Oscar who mixes it up just as well. Look at the Salita fight. Khan came out with cruel intentions, similar to a young hungry DLH.

But, it's the jab that pulls Khan closer to DLH for me. Linares has a pretty good jab from what I've seen, but it's not nearly as laser sharp or effective as Khans. You combine that with how Khan looks during exchanges and it's pretty obvious in my opinion.

I'll have to watch Linares more. But for some reason, speed/jab wise, he never rubbed me as being similar to DLH. I'll have to review more of his fights though...

Comment

I just don't see it

Comment

I see no resemblance what so ever!

Comment

Working...
                      X