Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any programs that can help me pay back my student loans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing I've heard of is teaching jobs in certain poor communities. I don't know the details, but I've heard there are programs like that where you can pay off your loans. Beyond that, I don't know how much you make at your current job, but I met a lot of people in Korea who were teaching English to pay off student loans (standard contracts at the time were over $2000 per month plus free housing).

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
      The only thing I've heard of is teaching jobs in certain poor communities. I don't know the details, but I've heard there are programs like that where you can pay off your loans. Beyond that, I don't know how much you make at your current job, but I met a lot of people in Korea who were teaching English to pay off student loans (standard contracts at the time were over $2000 per month plus free housing).
      Yeah, but have you ever been nearby a bunch of South Korean kids? They make so much noise I had to ask them politely to quiet down. Once I had done that, they blew my eardrums up with high pithced noises I only thought monsters could make in movies..

I've been around 70-100 South Korean kids for about 2 years time and I've only met 3 exceptions so far.

Comment

Get a job like the rest of us, use part of your pay to cover the monthly on that loan for the next 20 years. Unfortunately in your case the easy way is the hard way...or join the military. I work 14 hour days 6 days a week as a F & I manager and make 6000-12000 monthly and I still make the minimum monthly payment on my student loans. I owe 21000. Just deal with it.

Comment

Funny I just made an essay on the economic crisis in the U.S. and student loans, paying them back, students in debt $50-250k while in school, students with Bachelor's and Master's degree who can't get jobs out of college. And how you have to pay the student loans back in 6 months after graduating. But jobs do not hire you that fast, especially if you have 0 experience. As a result, students are reluctant to take out student loans, they're afraid. But you HAVE to take out student loans, there's no way around it. I will be taking out student loans if I go to UAlbany in a couple of years. There's just no way around it. Until then, I will avoid federal loans for as long as possible. But I know i'll need it soon, college is not cheap.

BTW, what was it a subsidized or unsubsidized loan? And was it a Stafford Loan?

Comment

Originally posted by spyvsspy View Post
            Get a job like the rest of us, use part of your pay to cover the monthly on that loan for the next 20 years. Unfortunately in your case the easy way is the hard way...or join the military. I work 14 hour days 6 days a week as a F & I manager and make 6000-12000 monthly and I still make the minimum monthly payment on my student loans. I owe 21000. Just deal with it.
            good job & i agree get a job & start making payments...we all have debt that we bring on & it must be paid or the interest will just keep adding up. i have paid off loans totalling $35000. i didn't always make the money i do now. when i started ironworking construction was slow & i had to go to trade school. i ate mac & cheese, hotdogs & shared a house with several people but i always made my payments. wages were lower & i had years i made $30000 but i found a way. i was out of my parents house at 19 & had to learn to budget & do everything on my own. i worked in a bar, drove courier, worked in a car wash & restaurant until i decided to get a real job. i got into ironworking at 22 & i never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Funny I just made an essay on the economic crisis in the U.S. and student loans, paying them back, students in debt $50-250k while in school, students with Bachelor's and Master's degree who can't get jobs out of college. And how you have to pay the student loans back in 6 months after graduating. But jobs do not hire you that fast, especially if you have 0 experience. As a result, students are reluctant to take out student loans, they're afraid. But you HAVE to take out student loans, there's no way around it. I will be taking out student loans if I go to UAlbany in a couple of years. There's just no way around it. Until then, I will avoid federal loans for as long as possible. But I know i'll need it soon, college is not cheap.

BTW, what was it a subsidized or unsubsidized loan? And was it a Stafford Loan?
              You do?

Never heard of that.

I remember my loan payments being manageable and my interest rate was reasonable whatever crap job I had to work at.

It took a while to pay off but then again so does every other loan you have later in your life when you go onto big boy expenses.

Comment

Well down here in Louisiana if you are teacher at any school for 5 years.. Then the school or state pays off any loans that you have.. I think it's a federal thing for every state.. Especially down here, u can work for the state with an associates degree and make the same amount as a BA person, but the catch is they gonna send you to school while u make that money.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  I don't know about programs, but there are these things called "jobs" where a company hires you and pays you for your services. It appears you have one, so I'm not sure why you can't pay a little on the loan every month, even if it's a minimal amount. Instead of going out to eat or out to a club, put that money towards paying off your loan. Short term sacrifice = Long term gain.
                  By the way, this response is hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                    I don't know about programs, but there are these things called "jobs" where a company hires you and pays you for your services. It appears you have one, so I'm not sure why you can't pay a little on the loan every month, even if it's a minimal amount. Instead of going out to eat or out to a club, put that money towards paying off your loan. Short term sacrifice = Long term gain.
                    this bang on! i couldn't agree more....we all had to make sacrifices to get established in the "real" world & you are just entering it. like bringer said no eating out, no clubbing & i'll add no need for fancy clothes & luxuries you obviously can't afford right now...

Comment

The guy was just asking a question.

Of course he should've known better than asking on here. Naturally he'll only get a bunch of condescending answers.

Comment

Working...
                      X