Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather: "Do I want to test the waters and one day fight at 160? Yes"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 pages, PEDS, Racism, Nationalism, Multiple Bans, few Alts. Other than that, it's a great thread.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Size alone can't beat Floyd. Let's not forget at 130, Floyd was fighting welterweights on fight night. He would come in at just a bit above 130, while his opponents came in at above 140, some even at 145-147. Let's not forget Floyd was 149 vs Baldomir's 160+, and Floyd was 150 vs Ortiz's 164. That's just to name a few.

Martinez can beat Floyd cause of his skill AND size. But you said size beats Floyd, which is false in my eyes, and Floyd has proved that it's false. You don't only need size to beat him, you need a lot more than that. Like do you really see Pavlik or Chavez Jr winning 2-3 rounds vs Floyd? They're huge aren't they? They're big, tall, long reach, Chavez Jr comes in as a cruiiserweight on fight night...but they would stylistically suck against some one like Floyd.
      Wess is a Floyd fan Kev, so he knows that. But in essence we are talking and discussing Martinez, so while he may not have clarified it I bet you this is what hes implying, someone who can fight with tons of size. Even when I commented on his comment I agreed as well as its implied skill must be there. Hell we all saw Rick Ross large ass looking scared....

Martines with his size (and yes he can fight) would be a very difficult damn near impossible task at 160 imo.... But if somehow Floyd pulled that off, that would be crazy.....

Comment

He could go up tomorow and fight Chavez Jr for his fake MW strap and win. But what fun would that be I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BesWorldChamp View Post
          I don't think he'll ever fight above 154.
          i would actually bet that he does fight at 160 one day. i actually think he is going to stay around 154 after the cotto fight and will tell manny to come up to 154. he will be fighting majority at 154 and 160.

Floyd is getting bigger and stronger for a reason. look at him vs baldomir then him vs Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            Size alone can't beat Floyd. Let's not forget at 130, Floyd was fighting welterweights on fight night. He would come in at just a bit above 130, while his opponents came in at above 140, some even at 145-147. Let's not forget Floyd was 149 vs Baldomir's 160+, and Floyd was 150 vs Ortiz's 164. That's just to name a few.

Martinez can beat Floyd cause of his skill AND size. But you said size beats Floyd, which is false in my eyes, and Floyd has proved that it's false. You don't only need size to beat him, you need a lot more than that. Like do you really see Pavlik or Chavez Jr winning 2-3 rounds vs Floyd? They're huge aren't they? They're big, tall, long reach, Chavez Jr comes in as a cruiiserweight on fight night...but they would stylistically suck against some one like Floyd.
            A ******* would call you liar as Floyd always fights smaller fighters..

Anyway of course skill would come into play or else they wouldn't have a belt (assuming floyd would pick a 160 lber with a strap). Weight wasn't really what I was getting at though. I was talking more about height and reach advantages but also weighing 160 who would come in 170-180 fight night.

I know Martinez has skills though... But i'm talking about the divisions right now, nobody 154 or below beats Floyd. Meaning he needs to move up and fight fighters with size, reach and weight advantages.

I do agree with you to an extent. Skills will definitely be needed but that is not all they need and nobody 154 has those skills... he needs to move up.
            Last edited by WESS; 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Yes, but you will only test the waters with a fighter that shows little to no risk. We get it, we can't make you fight Pacquiao or Martinez. You won't risk your health fighting guys that stand a chance. Go cherry pick another woman you want to beat up.

Comment

I would much rather see May/Martinez at 160 then Pac at 147.

Comment

Of course Floyd wants to fight at 160 someday.

He has his self preservation mantra anyways.

A lotta weak azz fighters Floyd can choose from.

Comment

he's lookin at chavez jr...! once he beats cotto hes gonna fight canelo... (if pacman dont step up) he might go fight chavez jr.... call me crazy but even roger said for the right $ they'd go to 175...

i dont think a sergio fight is possible unless its a catchweight of 150 or 155

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                      He could go up tomorow and fight Chavez Jr for his fake MW strap and win. But what fun would that be I guess.
                      but hey, somebody's "0" has got to go... Easy marketing.

I can see it now, Floyd will demand that Chavez' 1 draw be announced so Floyd's record sounds better. Chavez won't agree and people will say that Floyd is ducking the fight....

Comment

Working...
                      X