No announcement yet.

Andy Ganagin RIP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Ganagin RIP

Just heard the sad news about this hard punching Hawaiian based Filipino from the early 80's.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...149899015.html
    Last edited by Scott9945; 05-02-2012, 08:56 PM.

Fun fighter to watch. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Fun fighter to watch. RIP.
      He certainly was a dedicated slugger. If he had been fighting in this era he would have been a popular TV fighter.

Comment

Apologies for disrespecting the man by spelling his name wrong in the thread title.

Andy Ganigan RIP

Comment

I remember him and his career very well, always liked him. May he RIP!

Comment

He was one of my favorites growing up, with the lion tattoo on his back. i remember staying up late (I was 14) the night he fought Gato gonzalez at the Forum. They used to have results and highlights from the fights on the 10pm news. Pretty good fight, which Ganigan had in the bag until the 7th round.
            I loved watching Andy Ganigan fight, and learned a ton from him. Any of you want-to-be southpaws should watch him, too. He was one of my heroes when I got involved in boxing. God bless him.

Comment

R.I.P., Andy Ganigan.

Tremendous puncher with a super exciting style. He was brought in to lose against Sean O'Grady in '81, but wound up destroying him in two rounds. Got a title shot off of that against Arguello. He dropped Alexis and it was an exciting fight while it lasted.

Comment

Ganigan was briefly hospitalized in Honolulu and was later transported to Las Vegas where his daughter and two of his sons live. Bridget says her father required 24-hour care.

"The brain injury, the tremors, he got diabetes and he got high blood pressure," she said. "His body couldn't fight off anything already. He was such a fighter. He was so sick."

The Hawaii Sports Hall of Famer fought until the end. At 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Ganigan started gasping for air but knew his youngest son was on his way from Hawaii.

"He fought til the very end because he stopped breathing and then we told him hang on he's coming, he's coming wait," she said. Her brother arrived at midnight. "He smiled, a tear came down his eye and he past. He was waiting for my brother to come, the last boy to come, he wanted all of us to be here," she said."

Ganigan took his last breath at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday with his family at his side.

"He was such a fighter, until the end, to the end end."
                Amazing man.

Comment

i was very young when i first saw his fight with arguello... it was through a satellite feed for a local channel in the philippines... my vague recollection of that fight (as substantiated with youtube) was when he floored arguello and managed to make a good case of himself against the king at SFW during that time...

RIP mr. ganigan...

Comment

Sad news, not just his death but the whole two year ordeal leading up to it. Hopefully the fat punk who started all this is able to muster up a bit of remose for his drunken actions, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X