No announcement yet.

How to box a taller opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to box a taller opponent

I have posted this question on the other sites Just want to get as much advice as I can.

I sparred with a 6'0 guy and I am only 5'6 (154)lbs. I can't hit him. Any technique that you can advise me?

You need to get inside and go to the body and then to the head. You make it harder on yourself by trying to slug a tall fighter in the face from a distance, you need to close the gap and get close to him. If you break down the body, the head will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by manila_assasin
      I have posted this question on the other sites Just want to get as much advice as I can.

I sparred with a 6'0 guy and I am only 5'6 (154)lbs. I can't hit him. Any technique that you can advise me?
      You ever heard of a guy called Mike Tyson. I recomend u watch some of his fights,not the Lewis one though.

Comment

Kinda weird actually, normally when I see a smaller huskier fighter go up a gains a huge 7 foot tall fighter, the 7 foot one is KOed easily, is this because taller people are easier to take down?

Comment

jab when he steps
          jab before him

keep jabbign and move inside when you jab

dont worry about gettign hit because you might have to take some to get in

keep jabbing it will slow him down and not let him set up

move ou head and dip his jabs and go to his body

keep moving but get inside anyway possble

Comment

i have a similarr question i juss sparred the other day and the guy is taller than me and has a longer reach and he let me get close then counter punched everything i threw, i had to use jabs a lot to get close to him and try to side step, do any of yall have any more advice on how to beat a taller counter puncher?

Comment

Originally posted by Dyl-G
              i have a similarr question i juss sparred the other day and the guy is taller than me and has a longer reach and he let me get close then counter punched everything i threw, i had to use jabs a lot to get close to him and try to side step, do any of yall have any more advice on how to beat a taller counter puncher?
              counter punchers usually eat up fakes. You don't always have to initiate. Fight fire with fire, counterpunch his ass.

Comment

If your shorter you have an advantage, you get to use your legs to punch. The taller guy has to punch down and cannot. Watch Mike Tyson in the late 80's, then you'll have no problem

Comment

Originally posted by m00ks
                  counter punchers usually eat up fakes. You don't always have to initiate. Fight fire with fire, counterpunch his ass.
                  if you don't have Mike Tyson power you need to get good at d-fence.

Or if you just want to hit him hard look to trade blows. When you know he is about to throw the jab, you throw your right hook, you can win in that trade every time.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions amigos!

Comment

Working...
                    X