No announcement yet.

How do you spar larger opponents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
    I'm 5'9 and walk around 158 pounds. I had to spar this cat that was 6'4 and 190+ pounds. I started out jabbing and as soon as my jab tapped his wrist this fool backs up and throws his jab but I kept slipping it. Then he tells me to come forward to make it a phone booth fight but the previous guy he sparred was getting pushed way too much. I step in and throw a right hand and he backs up and leaves his left jab hanging there to keep me apart and to force to move to his right. That pissed me off and at the end this guy tells me I was fighting scared. I was just not trying to fall for his BS. I watched the Omar Henry vs Margarito sparring session and saw how Henry pushed margs with his left guard down and it cut his high guard from throwing punches so he threw a right hand. Any advice?
    haha sounds like dude u were sparrin is one of those SCARED bully's....haven to try and tell the smaller guy where to move so he can hit u...dont play his games like has been said...move move move..tire him out...then when he rares back to throw the right..pop him w a lil overhand right square in the sternum...then kick him and tell him to shove it lmao..sounds likehe deserves the kick....jus sayin

Comment

you had the advantage if you know how to work it. these big guys can move you when they land but if you use your eyes and your speed you could be sharp shooting them while getting out of the way of their slow moving bombs. when you do have the oppertunity to land make him feel it, let him know that you are there to fight. sure thing you won't knock him out but you may earn respect to let him know that he can't just walkin in on you.

Smash this guy a good one upside his head and then use the ring, your eyes and most of all your speed. See where this gets you six minutes later.

remember, the champions will always show up again the next day to do it all again.

Much respect for getting in there...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
        I'm 5'9 and walk around 158 pounds. I had to spar this cat that was 6'4 and 190+ pounds. I started out jabbing and as soon as my jab tapped his wrist this fool backs up and throws his jab but I kept slipping it. Then he tells me to come forward to make it a phone booth fight but the previous guy he sparred was getting pushed way too much. I step in and throw a right hand and he backs up and leaves his left jab hanging there to keep me apart and to force to move to his right. That pissed me off and at the end this guy tells me I was fighting scared. I was just not trying to fall for his BS. I watched the Omar Henry vs Margarito sparring session and saw how Henry pushed margs with his left guard down and it cut his high guard from throwing punches so he threw a right hand. Any advice?
        It depends on the opponant. You might feel confortable jab and moving on the outside, making the taller guy give up his height. You may also want to work on the inside, so he can't use his reach advantage (watch and Joe Frazier fight or Chisora-Helenius is a great example)!

Comment

i spar taller guys often, the thing that works the best for me (except on one of them who has kinda figured me out, hes alot more experienced too) is fight really low, and destroy his body. Another thign that works for me duck down low (he will expect a body shot if youve been throwing lots) then blast up with the right.

Comment

I agree too, its ****ty sparrign different size guys, they are unrealistic matchups compared to your actual fights

Comment

Get inside and negate their reach advantage. That and make them move around a lot.

Make them follow you around the ring, wait for them to punch first, then slip and move inside. Work the body, finish to the head, and jump back out.

Comment

Working...
              X