Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Is Another Network For Boxing A Development of ‘Epix’ Proportions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Is Another Network For Boxing A Development of ‘Epix’ Proportions?

by David P. Greisman - Having more options almost always means a better deal for the consumer – competition between companies means there can be no resting on laurels. The product can always be made better. The price can always be dropped lower.

Having more boxing broadcasts almost always is a good thing for fight fans – they have a hunger for watching people pummel each other, a hunger that is only satisfied on some nights in some weeks.

But even with HBO, Showtime, pay-per-views, ESPN2, the Spanish-language channels, YouTube, legitimate Internet streams, illegitimate Internet streams and illicit downloads, there is little danger of there being an oversaturation of the sweet science.

And so the potential addition of Epix to the list of boxing broadcasters could be a welcome one – so long as it is worth it to all involved.

Epix is a premium (subscription-only) cable channel that launched at the end of October 2009 and is now available to more than 30 million homes, according to its website. ¬

Its foray into boxing will begin March 19 with Vitali Klitschko’s heavyweight title defense against Odlanier Solis, a broadcast that will be simulcast on its network and its website at 6 p.m. that day and then replayed four hours later.

Having another network bringing the fights to the fans is a good thing. But this is a premium network – Epix needs to sell itself to potential subscribers as being a necessary addition to their cable plans. [Click Here To Read More]

I just signed up for EPIX. Only cost $10 a month, but I'll probly cancel it as soon as the fight is over. I think very highly of Solis and I think he's going to give Vitali hell... I'm just looking at this as a $10 PPV with a ton of free movies for a month.

Comment

With Epix getting into boxing, all that means to me is that there is another premium channel that I'm going to steal a stream from.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rode View Post
        I just signed up for EPIX. Only cost $10 a month, but I'll probly cancel it as soon as the fight is over. I think very highly of Solis and I think he's going to give Vitali hell... I'm just looking at this as a $10 PPV with a ton of free movies for a month.
        Did it really only cost $10 for a month? Cancellation at any time?

Comment

Dish Network has Epix 1 & 2 and it's included as part of it's HD package at no extra cost.

Comment

Just an FYI to all fans Epix will be streaming this live on their website and they have a 15 day free trial offer going on. I'd sign up there 10 days or so before this fight happens then you know for sure you'll get to watch a high quality stream.

Comment

If Comcast start to carry it, I'll consider it. Paying 10 dollars a month isn't a big deal as long as they show a good amount of boxing. Gotta remember I pay 15 dollars a piece for HBO and SHO and they show a lot of big time boxing, have movies, doc's, tv series and other things that make the package good.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                If Comcast start to carry it, I'll consider it. Paying 10 dollars a month isn't a big deal as long as they show a good amount of boxing. Gotta remember I pay 15 dollars a piece for HBO and SHO and they show a lot of big time boxing, have movies, doc's, tv series and other things that make the package good.
                Yeah I "tweeted" Directv about it and said Epix has boxing. I only hope Epix gets more fights IF I have a way to watch it.

Comment

lame a channel almost no one has and many ppl can't even get.

Comment

Time to switch before your wallet gets knocked out

Originally posted by Check View Post
                    You're paying too much, my friend. You should compare the prices that DISH Network has for the same programming. I work at DISH and I've found that EPIX offers a lot of great movies and this is only one out of 20 channels that are included in the HD Platinum package priced at $10/month. As for HBO & Showtime DISH offers discounts for subscribing to 2 or more premiums like these. It's definitely worth checking out so you don't pay too much to see people get knocked out!

Comment

Working...
                    X