Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Is Donaire vs. Mares Worth Getting Hopes Up For?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Is Donaire vs. Mares Worth Getting Hopes Up For?

by Cliff Rold - It’s probably too early to speculate.

Let’s go ahead and do it anyways.

Late Friday evening, BoxingScene’s Rick Reeno posted breaking news stories that furthered chatter begun earlier in the week by Golden Boy Promotions head Richard Schaefer.

Claiming no interest in co-promotion, a reported offer by Top Rank’s Bob Arum was made to, in essence, purchase the services of WBC 122 lb. titlist Abner Mares for a unification bout with WBO/IBF titlist and lineal World Champion Nonito Donaire. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm just waiting for Arum's excuse

Comment

Arum already has Nonitos fights sorted in his own mind, this is just pure time wasting.

GBP can offer $10M and Arum will have another idea and plan even if it means Donaire only earns $300K, he will march to his own tune and not to GBP's, even if it means cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Comment

I can see Donaire leaving Top Rank after his contract ends if Arum doesn't make this.
        Even if Arum takes 2/3, that's still a lot of money for Donaire

Comment

Fingers crossed

Wont hold my breath though

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
            GBP can offer $10M and Arum will have another idea and plan even if it means Donaire only earns $300K, he will march to his own tune and not to GBP's, even if it means cutting his nose off to spite his face.
            Sadly I think you're right. But at least some people will finally see who has been the root of the problem.

I like Rigondeaux vs. Darchinyan. That's a good step up for the Cuban to see where he's at.

Comment

as a fight? sure it is
              in terms of it happening? no, it's not
              fights that make sense getting made are a rarity these days
              this is a good match to see who runs 122 lbs
              therefore, it's too good to be true
              until it begins, don't believe it

Comment

Of course it's worth it. However actually having faith in it happening is something else entirely.

Comment

this is still a win-win situation because Donaire will be fighting either Mares or Rigondeaux. 99% sure its going to be Rigo though. Golden Boy is merely posturing here to cater to Mare's demands as they know Arum will never do business

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
                    Golden Boy is merely posturing here to cater to Mare's demands as they know Arum will never do business
                    This is what I suspect too. Although I gotta give Schaefer kudos for this initiative since he's the one actually acting on the proposed exchange of services of fighters from opposing stables to make big fights.

Anyway, Donaire-Mares is the bigger money fight. And Rigo is the more difficult opponent. I think it's going to take a lot of patience from Donaire to look good against Rigo. I see a UD for Donaire or late TKO. Against Mares, a spectacular KO in 8. I'm thinking this is why Donaire wants the latter fight badly: more money, more street cred, easier opponent. What's not to like?

Comment

Working...
                    X