Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe in God

Comment

• Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
      Why do you keep capitalizing the word scientist and science?

Anyway...

Well you need to define this God/Creator in order to have any meaningful conversation. Does this God interact with reality? Do you have any relationship with this being? Does this God answer prayers of any type? Is this God a personal being? Otherwise you can concoct a never ending array of possible God-like en******, all of which I apparently have to disprove .

Because I'm not a cosmologist, astrophysicist, biologist, etc. I should refrain from agreeing with the scientific consensus? What an absurd argument.

Your problem is, you don't understand the difference between facts and theories. It will never be fact on how our universe came into existence, only a theory (right now there's not even a theory). I have already explained this to you and I'm not going to do it again.
      Android device Auto capitalises certain words, but anyway, you digress.

I did not define God/Creator yet you still replied to me. You should have asked me that in the first post, but since you did not, this is how it is.

I said I believe in a creator.

You suggested I was wrong.

I said prove to me there is not a creator.

So at this point, if you want to suggest there is no creator to ME, then give me evidence that there is none. If you need to know what I mean by Creator then STFU and don't reply to me any more and apologise for replying to my first post because you are an ignorant imbecile who did not ask what I meant by creator.

I will assume that you read from a book or website on Scientific studies, and to me that does not qualify you to have 100% understanding of what you are reading. You are a laymen in that respect.

If you do not believe there is a theory on how the Universe was created then perhaps look at the definition of theory.

the·o·ry
      /ˈTHēərē/
      Noun

A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be...: "Darwin's theory of evolution"
      A set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based: "a theory of education"; "music theory".

There is at least one theory of how the Universe was created. Don't make such stupid statements that there is not one theory.

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
      Of course your beliefs may be wrong (mine too), but that's not what I was suggesting.

To make myself clear:

The point I was trying to make is that feeling and intuition, which you have admitted is your method of discovering what is true, is actually an unreliable way of actually figuring stuff out. It was done this way for thousands of years and the result was this mass God graveyard we now call mythology.

There is a much better way...

Look at what has been achieved because of the scientific method in the last couple hundred years compared to the thousands of years of civilization prior.

Sorry pal, it doesn't work that way. It is not up to ME to disprove YOUR assertion. Just how it's not up to the defendant to prove his innocence in a court of law. Rather it is up to you to provide reasons and/or evidence for your beliefs. The reason that you have already cited was that you feel that you were correct. Which I already explained is flawed and unjustified.

So other than a gut feeling, do you have any other reasons why you believe in a 'creator'?
      This is not a court of law, it is a forum. I am not a criminal and nor or you.
      This is reality, or at least life on a boxing forum, and if you make a post and someone replies to you, it's up to them to answer what they have said to you. If you can not, then we are in agreement that you or I can be wrong and that you have no evidence to disprove my belief that there is a creator.

If my feelings are flawed then your understanding of science can be too. Unless you have actually studied in a scientific field at a Degree, Masters or PHD level then I am only to assume that you are as qualified as me in this respect.

Whether my 'gut feeling' is flawed or not, the point is, you can not provide me with any evidence that it is wrong. That still remains the case and I predict that it will be because you are a laymen and work in a bank which is a completely different field. Don't ask me on why, how and what gave me my gut feeling, I did not mention it in my first post which you replied to, and I won't until you can back up your reply to me.

When you are ready, come back to me and I insist and hope that you can show me evidence that my feelings are wrong.

Thank you kind Sir.

Comment

• What I will say is, the circle is amazing, an amazing God created thing, and I will make you go around it all day long if you are willing.

Do you agree that a 'circle' or round object is an amazing thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by rorymac View Post
          I know exactly what you mean, but how would you reply if I asked you if the Tooth Fairy is real?

I guess I'm just very happy to stick my neck out (although that turn of phrase gives theism too much credit) and say he doesn't exist. Perhaps the thing that gives me the most conviction is the argument from free will. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_free_will
          C.mon, man...the tooth fairy? Really? As far as your link goes, I chose to use my free will to believe there is a God. Same as non-believers use their free will to NOT believe. That is their right and who am I to question that? Is it fair to say we are on even ground here?

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
          Davis40 told me that unbelievers are going to burn in hell. I said "You're entitled to your opinion but I ordered a Big Mac."
          How come you tell him he's entitled his opinion, but you practically say I'm crazy for believing what i choose to believe? You picked apart a lot of my single sentences back there, and I'm not going through the bother of picking each one out and defending it.

My decision to think/believe what i want doesn't need to be justified.

You have the right to believe w/e you want, even to think I'm a whako...lol. I have read many of your posts and see you are intelligent, and think you're a good poster, even though i don't always agree with you.

But different viewpoints are the spice of life...the world would be pretty boring if everybody thought the same way.

I could write an essay on why i believe the way i do. But i will say, I'm not an extremest, I'm not even religious. I don't go to church, never read the bible, don't plan to, I don't believe in a punishing, cruel God, or (fairy dust #rorymac ) but i do have my spiritual beliefs. I am entitled to them, don't need to explain them, and by now i see it wouldn't matter anyway.

Like I said before, it's been a long time since i engaged in any conversations about God-religion or politics, as they usually go nowhere
          and are matters of opinion or choice, not right or wrong.

Enjoy your big mac, squealpiggy!
          Last edited by jazluvr; 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• Yes, God does exist.

Comment

• I dont think he does

Comment

• Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
                How come you tell him he's entitled his opinion, but you practically say I'm crazy for believing what i choose to believe? You picked apart a lot of my single sentences back there, and I'm not going through the bother of picking each one out and defending it.
                I'm telling you where I think you're wrong. That's how these things work. The ****** who threatened me with hell isn't worth the time. Take it as a compliment.

Comment

• The only truthful answer would be "I don't know"

Comment

• Oink Oink learnt something it seems. You were too easy, and I will get you again.

Thank you for being a ****** that always took the bait.

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      I'm telling you where I think you're wrong. That's how these things work. The ****** who threatened me with hell isn't worth the time. Take it as a compliment.
                      Fair enough.
                      Last edited by jazluvr; 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X