No announcement yet.

25 years ago today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years ago today

Mike Tyson vs. Michael Spinks for the unified heavyweight title!
    Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States

TBear....

It was only 24 years ago today. Fight happened in '88.

Comment

Opps, give or take a year . Still the anniversary!

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        Opps, give or take a year . Still the anniversary!
        No problem!

I saw this at a closed-circuit in the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

The fight was very unsatisfying for me. Yeah, Tyson fights had a great chance of ending quickly back then.....and it wasn't the shortness of the fight that left me cold. It was Spinks' terrified performance. He was a total nervous wreck, and that's why I think he was KO'd by punches that don't rank anywhere near the best Tyson has taken guys out with.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          No problem!

I saw this at a closed-circuit in the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

The fight was very unsatisfying for me. Yeah, Tyson fights had a great chance of ending quickly back then.....and it wasn't the shortness of the fight that left me cold. It was Spinks' terrified performance. He was a total nervous wreck, and that's why I think he was KO'd by punches that don't rank anywhere near the best Tyson has taken guys out with.
          It was a bummer but I did feel sorry for Spinks. He was a class act IMO. He did seem completely intimidated by Tyson.

How was the closed-circuit quality? I went to Hagler-Hearns on closed-circuit and it wasn't a very good picture and the sound wasn't really very good either.
          Last edited by TBear; 06-28-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            It was a bummer but I did feel sorry for Spinks. He was a class act IMO. He did seem completely intimidated by Tyson.

How was the closed-circuit quality? I went to Hagler-Hearns on closed-circuit and it wasn't a very good picture and the sound wasn't really very good either.
            I actually had a better picture for Hagler-Hearns than I did for Tyson-Spinks. I saw Hagler-Herans at a much smaller venue in Jersey, so I was closer to the screen.

The picture for Tyson-Spinks was decent, but the overall experience was strange. It was probably fine for the casual fan but not so much for an obsessed fan like myself.

Comment

I remember this fight, I was but 5 or so and I saw it at my uncles house. I remember even back then I knew about Tyson and his power. I guess all the hype paid off if a 5 year old knows about him. I remember watching it and was in awe over his power and ferociousness of Tyson. I saw other fights before that, but that is what I believe helped start this love affair of boxing that continues to this day.
              Last edited by mehoe; 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

24 years ago.

Feels like it were only yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                X