Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roberto Duran the best lightweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No arguements at all. Roberto Duran was the greatest lightweight of all time.

Comment

he can't be the best of all time leonard made him give up no maas

Comment

Originally posted by ghostdancer
        he can't be the best of all time leonard made him give up no maas
        Duran's "no mas" fight against Leonard should have no bearing on his status as a lightweight, since it took place at 147.

Comment

i guess one more yes for Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by cple
            Duran's "no mas" fight against Leonard should have no bearing on his status as a lightweight, since it took place at 147.
            lets not forget he was past his prime and still beat leonard, and started as a bantmanweight

Comment

Hands down the best ever at 135. Overall I rank him #3 p4p all time. The guy ruled 135 for a decade.

1. Robinson
              2. Armstrong
              3. Duran

Comment

Duran was invincible at lightweight.

Comment

I may be inclined to rate Duran as the best lightweight of all-time, but I think the competition for the top spot is a lot closer than others would have you think.

Duran, Benny Leonard, Joe Gans, Ike Williams, Tony Canzoneri, and Carlos Ortiz are a few of the very strong contenders for that all-time top spot in the lightweight division. Plus, if you took into account what he did while weighing at or just under 135 lbs., a strong case can be made for Henry Armstrong in that top spot.

Personally, out of all the original eight weight divisions and the numerous great fighters that fought in them, I think this division has the greatest depth at the very top of the all-time rankings. There's a good six or seven guys that may have a claim to being the greatest ever at this weight, and in my opinion, no other division has that.

Comment

Originally posted by Verbl_Kint
                    Any arguments against this?
                    Well there was the one guy, hmmm, what was his name?

Henry Armstrong.

Held bantamweight, lightweight, welterweight titles all at the same time.

He was pretty damn good. I'm goin to get some of my boxing buds who REALLY know their ****. Hold on. I think you'll have some dissension on this. Duran was a beast but there're are a few more out there who were terrors themselves.

Comment

Hell Duran might be the best lightweight right now, and I don't even know how old he is.

Comment

Working...
                      X