No announcement yet.

Leotis Martin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leotis Martin

Can anybody give me some background info on this guy? All I know about him, and that is pretty impressive, is that he knocked out Sonny Liston. A somewhat faded Sonny Liston. I know he had to retire right after this fight because of a detached retina. Any other info?

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
    Can anybody give me some background info on this guy? All I know about him, and that is pretty impressive, is that he knocked out Sonny Liston. A somewhat faded Sonny Liston. I know he had to retire right after this fight because of a detached retina. Any other info?
    Heavily faded Sonny Liston.

He was pretty good, and debatably a top 5 Philadelphian Heavyweight.

Comment

Got to say know the name but not much else on him.
      Liable to have amounted to anything without the eye problem Obama?

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        Got to say know the name but not much else on him.
        Liable to have amounted to anything without the eye problem Obama?
        Eh, I think he maximized his potential tbh. He wasn't likely to get a better win than Liston. He could have got more wins on par with a faded Liston tho...evident in his wins over Thad Spencer and Karl Mildenberger.

Comment

I think he would have gotten a title shot atleast. It's doubtful that he would have won though, Frazier would have been all over him and Ellis already beat him although it was a close contest until the stoppage.

He fought smart against Liston. Liston was still a force in the early rounds and knocked Martin down but Martin was game and not about to quit even though he was behind on points. He started to come on as the older man started to tire, and finished Liston off in devastating fashion.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Sonny was done by the time they fought.

10 years past his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
              Sonny was done by the time they fought.

10 years past his prime.
              Nah, not 10. Just 6.

Comment

Nah, not 10. Just 6.
                Your opinion.

His prime ended in 1959 by me.He was already past it by the time he fought Patterson and Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
                  Your opinion.

His prime ended in 1959 by me.He was already past it by the time he fought Patterson and Ali.
                  You crazy??! He blasted Patterson twice in '62 and won the title! He kept going till that fateful february day in '64.

Comment

You crazy??! He blasted Patterson twice in '62 and won the title! He kept going till that fateful february day in '64.
                    Yeah so?

Patterson was tailor made for him,smaller,chinny,didn't box in those fights.Plus you can see in the rematch Sonny misses a few punches on Floyd who was stationary.

He didn't even train for the Ali fight and gained weight.

Comment

Working...
                    X