No announcement yet.

Footwork drills???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footwork drills???

Alrite guys could anyone point us to some good online footwork drills or even books you may have read?

Hey there

There are a load of videos on my site covering all you need to know regarding footwork (forward/back, side-stepping, pivot, diagonal etc.) I can't put links on here yet, but here's the text from another article on a great footwork drill called 'Tag Boxing':

If you get the chance to work with a partner, have 3 rounds of tag boxing in the gym. No gloves. The aim is to tap your opponent’s thigh or shoulder with an open palm…and not get tapped yourself. We will use 3 skill components here:
    • The stance
    • Moving in and out
    • Ducking

Some things to remember when having a go:
    • Don’t bend at the waist to hit the thigh, bend the knees.
    • Use lots of feints.
    • Short, explosive movements with the feet; push off the front foot to move backwards, the back foot to move forwards.
    • Aim for very short foot movements, looking to feint, push out (6-8cm) and then straight back in to get your tap in.
    • Don’t be tempted to ‘pull’ your leg out of the way of a tap; it’s cheating and it ruins your stance (as well as missing the entire point of the thing!)
    • Stay relaxed and learn about the subtle movements involved in hitting whilst not being hit.

Try this footwork drill a few times a week, and your footwork will improve greatly…and you don’t have to take punches whilst learning, that’s gotta be good!

Cheers

Fran

Comment

Hi, Check my site on footwork. i have lots videos also showing you how to do it. "boxing-4-fitness.com" You'll get alot of info. Please share it or like it if you find it useful. if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to email me.

Santi

Comment

Might b worth looking into fencing footwork and explosive squats bro, esp. If you plan on hitting and getting put before they get planted..gdluck

Comment

I know of a couple.

1. Elastic Band Shadow Boxing

Begin with an Elastic band slightly longer than your should width and put the bugger around your feet.
          As your balance

2.Agility ladder

Very simple semi shuffle through the rungs!

And as a last suggestion, do a lot of skipping.

Comment

Working...
          X