Collapse
No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You haven't seen what he's doing before, have you? You certainly won't see it again for an awful long time, count on that.

What does that tell you? I have to say, I go completely the other way on this. Whenever I see fans saying, "he doesn't fight men who are on a roll," "he makes them fight at catchweights," "Fighter X was drained, or damaged goods," I just have to shake my head & laugh.

Sometimes, I think Boxing fans just cannot be pleased, no matter how extraordinary a fighter. A guy could go from Fly to Heavy, whip all comers, & there'd still be the nay-sayers.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      It would be impressive... If he didn't start his career at 15 years old when he was only 4'11. He was an adolescent and once he matured into in adult, I think it's safe to say he was a comfortable featherweight. I don't think many people take that into account.

I just have not been very impressed with Manny Pacquiao the last couple years, and every time his next fight is announced, I just get angry. Then he demolishes a guy inside of a couple rounds, or wins 12 rounds to 0, and everybody throws a parade. To have a decent debate in NSB is impossible, that's why I am wondering what the level headed fellows in the boxing history have to say about this case.
      In all fairness he started his career at 17 and won a world title just weeks before his 20th birthday. Thats a long time and a big weight span to fight at either a world class or elite level for. He's not the greatest of all time, but as WBY said, he's a special fighter. How often in history have we seen what Pac has accomplished (forget titles, just think climbing so high in weight successfully), six or seven maybe? I know there aren't many and a very, very low percentage in comparison to the number of fighters through out boxings history.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        It would be impressive... If he didn't start his career at 15 years old when he was only 4'11. He was an adolescent and once he matured into in adult, I think it's safe to say he was a comfortable featherweight. I don't think many people take that into account.
        Yeah, I agree that he was a natural featherweight. But MAB started at 15 and weighed in at 111 then. He was cooked by the time he was a lightweight.

Comment

What prospects are people high on? Jesse Vargas looks promising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rubensonnny View Post
            What prospects are people high on? Jesse Vargas looks promising to me.
            Luis Garcia, "Mike" Perez and to a lesser extent Alexei Acosta.
            3 Cubans that defected to Ireland a while back, got to see quite a few of their fights live and they're really good, used to be hyped about Acosta but he's been a let down in his last few fights, he's got a big punch and is a decent body puncher but he's started slapping with his punches until he see's an opening and hasn't been throwing to the body as much as he was in past fights. Got a feeling it's going to cost him when he takes a step up in competition.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              Luis Garcia, "Mike" Perez and to a lesser extent Alexei Acosta.
              3 Cubans that defected to Ireland a while back, got to see quite a few of their fights live and they're really good, used to be hyped about Acosta but he's been a let down in his last few fights, he's got a big punch and is a decent body puncher but he's started slapping with his punches until he see's an opening and hasn't been throwing to the body as much as he was in past fights. Got a feeling it's going to cost him when he takes a step up in competition.
              Omar Henry is my favorite prospect. He doesn't fight as frequently as he should be. I think KO artists who are very explosive and score early knockouts should fight 2-3 times per month early in their career. No reason to train for 2 months just to knock a guy out in the first 2 minutes, then take 3 months off.

I actually traveled to Chicago to catch his last fight back in May but his bout was canceled, as a 3rd opponent had backed out of fighting him. I was pretty disappointed but I can't say I blame the other guy.

Comment

Luis Garcia? Is this the guy you're talking about?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...2931&cat=boxer

If not, what's his record then?

Oh yeah and I like the idea of talking about good prospects and up and coming fighters, I was going to ask about that here before reading the rest of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                  Right. If it were as easy as all of that, you would have more fighters taking the risks --- if for no other reason than to garner the massive acclaim, exposure & paydays Pacquiao's jumps have lead to.

Make no mistake...Pacquiao is history in the making, & a truly, truly special fighter.
                  He really is a special fighter,he has proved me wrong a few times in the last couple of years and nothing this guy does would surprise me anymore

Of course he will always have haters but that happens when you are as successful as he is,i think real boxing fans can appreciate his greatness

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Luis Garcia? Is this the guy you're talking about?

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...2931&cat=boxer

If not, what's his record then?

Oh yeah and I like the idea of talking about good prospects and up and coming fighters, I was going to ask about that here before reading the rest of the thread.
                    Yeah that's the one.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      In all fairness he started his career at 17 and won a world title just weeks before his 20th birthday. Thats a long time and a big weight span to fight at either a world class or elite level for. He's not the greatest of all time, but as WBY said, he's a special fighter. How often in history have we seen what Pac has accomplished (forget titles, just think climbing so high in weight successfully), six or seven maybe? I know there aren't many and a very, very low percentage in comparison to the number of fighters through out boxings history.
                      Great thread, Jab. I'd like to pose a question on this thread. What 10 fighters active today do any of you feel is HOF bound already? Here are my 10:

Floyd Mayweather
                      Pac-Man
                      Juan manual marquez
                      Klitschkos
                      Bernard Hopkins
                      James Toney
                      Roy Jones
                      Rafael marquez
                      Ivan Calderon

I know I left a few out, but the rest of you can debate my list and tell me who do you believe is more HOF worthy.

Comment

Working...
                      X