Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sapp and Tyson is making MMA look bad....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is what i wrote.

On the show comments were made about Mixed Matrial Arts and K-1 which are not true.

Firstly K-1 is kickboxing.

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) is a hybrid of all fighting styles.

As for the comments made on your show about MMA they are horribly wrong and in my opinion slanderous.

Your show goes out to millions of people. People watch your show and take what is said as legit, well what was said about MMA was untrue and should be corrected and appologized for ONAIR!

things like:

Wilbon: Tyson is one round. One round and he knocks him out.

Kornheiser: Tyson would kill him, but if you have the other stuff going on...

Wilbon: You mean kneeing people in the groin? You mean that? Headbutting?

Kornheiser: What would happen is, Tyson would have to bite him. He'd have to bite him... but that would be legal.

Wilbon: Yeah, that would be legal.

Please, before doing a segment research the topic so as not to make yourselves look foolish.

Thank you,
    Ben

Comment

Obviously, they don't have much respect for K-1, or MMA at large for that matter. If they were good journalists, they'd do some research on the subject rather than make ignorant comments like the ones above.

Comment

They just read an e-mail from an mma fan on the air explaining how all that stuff was illegal. They still bashed it saying that you can kick a guy in the face, so lets not make it chess, how Tyson bit anyway in boxing so he'd do it there anyways, how they don't give a damn about mma, how it's cockfighting and blah blah blah they're *******s.

Comment

Just now? The ****in ******s.....

Comment

They said somthing along the lines of "MMA fans, stop with the Email Jihad." Keep it up boys......

Comment

More contact info......

e-mail address for Pardon the Interruption: pti@espn.com

e-mail address for Michael Wilbon at his Washington Post day job: wilbonM@washpost.com

e-mail address for Tony Kornheiser at his Washington Post day job: kornheiserT@washpost.com

e-mail address for Tony Kornheiser's radio show: thisshowstinks@espnradio.com (best to e-mail when the show is on because they read it live on the air)

Comment

Haru sent out his distress signal. (politely-of course)

Comment

LOL, I sent a couple off soon as the show was over! I sent 2, I combined them both here!

I'm sorry that you have been misinformed about the facts of MMA, I happen to know, I'm a mom of a fighter & a big fan & I really wish you guys would check out the facts of things you inform the public. Or at least report the rules and basics correctly. I went to my sons first fight to discourage him from this sport..... but instead discovered a wonderful, exciting world full of qualified Athletes & sportsmanship!

My son does not go in there to hurt someone, he is competing against another highly skilled Athlete. Matter of fact, alot of them cross train, meaning they roll with each other as friends! At any event they can tap out at any time, plus the ref can stop it at any time when he sees a fighter not defending himself, & they are very good at what they do. They must be, have you read of any deaths or serious injuries of an MMA fighter?

No, because it hasn't happened.

This is not an email ji'had, it is an attempt to get sports reporters to stop misinforming the public. At least give true facts, even if you dislike the sport, please. My 3 sons were in more danger in our own backyard than what Ultimate Fighters do in a match.

the rules of MMA are at:

http://www.canuckles.com/mmafaq.htm

No Biting
                  No Eye-Gouging
                  No Head Butting
                  No Fish-Hooking
                  No Kicking while opponent is down
                  No Strikes allowed to the neck or back of the head.
                  No attacks to the spine

Rules and safety regulations vary from organization to organization. However, it is important to list some of the procedures and precautions taken to insure the health and well-being of the fighters at all times.

Here is a list of some general safety regulations that are used by many of these MMA organizations and help to insure the safety of all MMA practioners.

Padded Gloves are often used a means to protect the fighters hands from being damaged while striking.

Striking is almost never allowed to the back of the head, neck or spinal cord area.

There is no standing count when a fighter is knocked out. Once a fighter is unconscious, even if for only a second, the match is stopped immediately. Often times, the fight will be stopped even if the fighter is only in a daze.

Often there are events that do not allow kicking of an opponent while he is down.

The fight can and will be stopped by a doctor or referee if a fighter cannot intelligently or coherently defend himself.

The fighters cornerman can also throw in a towel, causing the fight to stop immediately if it is determined that a fighter cannot continue.

A fighter can tap the mat or his opponent at any time, indicating that he wishes to end the match and stop fighting.

Before a fighter competes, he is given a thorough examination by a professional doctor. The doctor will insure that the fighter is in good health and able to compete in this type of event.

In full contact matches, the fighters are usually tested for communicable diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis.

Since the inception of modern day MMA/NHB, there has only been one death that was associated with a fighter participating in this type of event. The name of the fighter was Doug Dedge and he was an American who was competing overseas in a Russian event called World Super Challenge. Apparently Doug Dedge finished the event, but died later at the hospital due to severe brain hemorraghing. It is important to bring up the circumstances related to the death of Doug Dedge. He is reported to have had a previous medical condition as he had blacked out several times during training. This condition was overlooked by event officials because of the lack of a qualified Russian sanctioning body that would have protected a fighter in this case had he fought in the U.S.

I hope this helps you to understand a little more of this wonderful sport, there are many great skilled Athletes out there involved who dedicate many long hours of training, did I mention heart? LOL.

With over 800 boxing deaths since first being recorded, Little League Baseball & Pro has over 29,000 injuries, 32 football deaths & thousands of injuries (high school & Pro). How about the weekend Warriors who ride ATV's in the deserts? Over 111,000 injuries, 300 deaths last year.

What these skilled & trained Athletes do in the arena, is safer than tennis or skiing, check the stats. I have lots of "facts" on injury & death rates of other less combative sports!

If you would like to attend an event, I suggest you go to the next UFC, where you will see a whole bunch of great fighters, live in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay, Sept 26th.

I would rather my son do what he is doing in the cage than what thousands of kids are doing on high school & college football fields daily, period. Sometimes admitting your wrong can be so hard..... Remember that old saying... Try it, you might like it?

Thank you,

mom of an MMA fighter & proud of it!

Comment

You write beautifully Momita, I love it.

Comment

Working...
                    X