No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Calzaghe: I Couldn't Train, My Hands Were Gone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joe Calzaghe: I Couldn't Train, My Hands Were Gone

Former super middleweight king Joe Calzaghe (46-0, 32KOs) has no regrets with announcing his retirement after a twelve round decision win over Roy Jones Jr. in November 2011. Some felt Calzaghe's retirement was premature. The Welsh fighter says his retirement came at the right time. After many years of hand injuries, Calzaghe was no longer able to put his punches together in camp.

[Click Here To Read More]

Never cared much for his career but I always respected his choice to retire. Many many other men in the sport should take note..sometimes it's ok to stop being the man and walk away in one piece.

Comment

He's always going to get **** from some of the hardcore online fans for various reasons. But the guy had a really good career, made heaps of cash, never got beat and is going in the hall of fame

Anyone who knows the truth and isn't an american nuthugger knows that there were reasons on all sides for a few fights not happening.

Comment

At least he knew it was time for him to retire...some people can't take a message

Comment

Joe Calzaghe beat everybody around him,he dominated his weight class and went to America to beat BHOP at 42Y(LHW),was he old? BHOP is still a world champ at 48y and P4P among the bests so to me that was a great victory;JOE was the agressor making BHOP walk vs the wrong corner after the bell in almost every round(BHOP had ROACH in his corner to help him to beat JOE but it wasn't enough). Roy's victory is a different story!!! His fight with a undeafeted KESSLER is only a one fight that showed his greatness;Lacy was good before that punishment JOE inflicted to him,SAKIO BIKA tried a dirty war but he couldn't overpower and overmuscle/strenght JOE but we can talk since the beginning of his world champion days when COLLINS didn't want any part of JOE saying that the doctors wanted him to retire(perhaps/probably the truth),OTTKE retired undeafeted because didn't fight JOE,etc.....HE is ATG and HOF with 46-0,what more?
          Last edited by lutenco; 01-12-2014, 04:30 AM.

Comment

He did have bad hands, which is why he punched the way he did. Mayweather and Malignaggi are two other fighters with terrible hands that keep getting re injured with every fight. It must be tough, I remember my problems with my right wrist. It broke once while sparring, but even after letting it heal and using 16oz gloves they would sprain again and it would hurt. I imagine a broken hand is even worse especially at the pro level.

Comment

Originally posted by lutenco View Post
              Joe Calzaghe beat everybody around him,he dominated his weight class and went to America to beat BHOP at 42Y(LHW),was he old? BHOP is still a world champ at 48y and P4P among the bests so to me that was a great victory;JOE was the agressor making BHOP walk vs the wrong corner after the bell in almost every round. Roy's victory is a different story!!! His fight with a undeafeted KESSLER is only one that showed his greatness;Lacy was good before that punishment but we can talk since the beginning when COLLINS didn't want any part of JOE saying that the doctors wanted him to retire(perhaps/probably the truth),OTTKE retired undeafeted because didn't fight JOE,etc.....HE is ATG and HOF with 46-0,what more?
              The critique comes for his choice of fight RJ instead of another younger, better fighter at the time like Dawson, Johnson, Froch, even Pavlik, who all 4 were calling him out. RJ was the weakest link and that's who he picked. He would have beaten Froch, Pavlik, Johnson, and Dawson that's the frustrating part of Calzaghe's career. He could have but he didn't.

Comment

No wonder he was slapping a lot and not hitting with his knuckles a during his last few fights. His hands were probably ****ed up going into those fights.

Very underrated fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  The critique comes for his choice of fight RJ instead of another younger, better fighter at the time like Dawson, Johnson, Froch, even Pavlik, who all 4 were calling him out. RJ was the weakest link and that's who he picked. He would have beaten Froch, Pavlik, Johnson, and Dawson that's the frustrating part of Calzaghe's career. He could have but he didn't.
                  JOE fought ROY because was a huge payday(the only one without Frank Warren) and a dream of him,his carreer was over after BHOP;only him know his hands how badly were so took a huge pay day another great victory with a legend and retired undeafeted,going out kiss his father in a great carreer/story!!!

Comment

Didn't he retire to snort fat lines of coke, just like Hatton?

Comment

Working...
                    X