No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Caballero: Gamboa Has Glass Jaw, Rios KO's Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Caballero: Gamboa Has Glass Jaw, Rios KO's Him

Boxingscene.com recently caught up with WBA featherweight champion Celestino "Pelenchin" Caballero. The fighter of Panamanian descent is training for his upcoming title defense against Satoshi Hosono that takes place on his opponent's home turf in Japan on New Year's Eve.

For years, Caballero has unsuccessfully campaigned for fights against featherweight rivals Yuriorkis Gamboa and Juan Manuel Lopez. Gamboa is planning to move up to lightweight to face Brandon Rios in his next fight while Lopez is looking to avenge the only loss of his career with a rematch against Orlando Salido.

With those fighters next bouts already booked, Caballero will again be on the outside looking in. [Click Here To Read More]

Rios is two weight classes above Gamboa. Not to mention Rios is practically a welterweight.

Comment

jumping 2 wt's is a lot& can't see YG staying mobile 12 rounds from Rios' pressure...late round Rios TKO win...let's see Rios, in training work some on moving his head more to avoid some blows...

Comment

I have never seen anything to indicate Gamboa has a glass jaw. Only that he fireflys around the ring so much hes open to flash knock down.s

Comment

Man Rios will stop Gamboa cold the moment he connects.

Comment

I think Rios is a bit too much for Gamboa. . . In a year or two when Gamboa gets to lightweight, like he should - by properly adding the weight over time and gradually getting used to heavier shots. . . Rios probably won't even be able to make LW anymore. . . You can tell he walks around pretty heavy. . . He's not one of these ripped up, athletic looking fighters, but he has a good build for boxing. . . a little extra fat rather than muscle is better because you don't have as much oxygen being drained to feed the muscles. . more energy = stamina.

Comment

how can he say that he has a glass jaw, when not only has he never been ko'd but he has never lost as a pro. on top of that you have never been in the ring with him.
              that being said, he may have one, he has hit the canvas a couple times against not so good opponents. but getting knocked down and getting knocked out are two completely different things, im sure JM Marquez would agree with that.

Comment

Either that, or Gamboa would out-box Rios to death. Gambos is much quicker than Rios, but if Brandon could apply relentless pressure, he could beat Gamboa. I stilld on't see that happening though, because I think Gamboa is going to have a couple fights at 130 first, and by the time late 2012, early 2013, comes around, Brondon may already be up at 140 or 147.

Comment

Good post.

In my opinion, Gamboa's not as fragile as Celestino is making him out to be. Yes, he's prone to flash knockdowns; but, as you've pointed out, that doesn't mean a fighter has a "glass jaw". As far as I'm concerned, Yuri can get knocked down every fight...as long as he gets back up and wins.

Caballero is right about one thing: Gamboa is moving up due to financial ambitions. I hope it doesn't hurt Yuriorkis, but I do believe Rios will stop him. I would be much more impressed than I already am with Gamboa if he pulls out a win.

Comment

Gamboa is a boxer with that Cuban style, the style that blunts raw aggression and out maneuvers size. Rios will not have an easy time with Gamboa, I know Rios likes to talk crap about his opponents and that's ok, but he better be in really good shape for this fight, because I don't think Gamboa cares what he says.

Comment

Working...
                    X